Avocado Pit to House Plant

After removing the pit from an avocado, don't throw it away. Wash the pit. Stick three toothpicks around the pointy upper third of the pit. Then fill up a jar water and rest the avocado pit on the rim with the large portion of the pit in the water and small portion above water. After five days, place the jar in a spot where the pit can receive sunlight. It won't be long before you see roots appears and leaves sprout. Once you have a healthy system of roots and several leaves you can transplant to potting soil. Water once a week.

Top Comment

Avocadoes make excellent trees, I just stick mine on nails or toothpicks, three of them, and point them towards the sky and wait. They all have their own time. Some of them never grew, some of them did.

I never pinch mine back either.

They are so wonderful! I have had my most recent plant since last spring, while it was still cold. I also put tomato seeds in the soil of my other potted plants. I have become kind of tomato crazy, I love them! After they sprout, I move them to another plant holder. They kind of keep the soil happy and the avocado plant seems to love having plants growing around it.

Mine is now three feet tall, and I talk to it each day. They like it a lot, and they like being in a pot which is big enough so they don't become pot bound. OK I admit it, I occasionally name mine.

Top Comment

Hi everyone, you should all try starting the pits in soil. I have been growing these things for years and soil makes them a far more solid and sturdy plant. Just tuck it about 3/4 of the way into some good potting soil pointy side up and keep moist. I always use bottled water because they don't seem to like the chlorine that's in tap water. Have fun!

Top Comment

My mom has an avocado tree in her back yard that she started from a pit, and now she gets so many avocados she hands them out to all her neighbors. Of course she lives in the California Bay area, so that may help.

It took me 6 months for roots to form in a glass of water. i planted it in soil 8 months ago. It is now sitting on my window sill and is 6 inches tall. I think it may have to go in a bigger pot. I live in n.y. and do not have a garden to plant it in. I only want it to grow as a house plant among all my other plants. What do I do to keep it growing.

I did all that. Should I transfer it into a bigger pot.

Where do I keep my avocado plant when I transplant it since it can't stay on the window sill any longer.

Hi Racer, Mine is called Osker and is 6ft tall. Reb1234

I keep mine in a decorative holder on the floor when they are tall. They are so beautiful. They are fine outdoors if the wind is not too bad. They are more a houseplant then an outside plant............

say hi to Osker!

I live in the south and i planted my Avocado outside last year its doing well. i couldn`t belive it came back but to my suprise it did Shirley in Ark.

My avacado is now 7.5 feet tall and I only have an 8 foot ceiling!!! What do I do now?????????

Use bonsai techniques.

I've been wanting to try this for ages, so I have got my avocado seed going in a jar of water. I was amazed at how quickly the root grows once it gets going! Maybe half to 1 centimeter per day!

I've been told that the pointed end goes in the water and the wider end stays on top??

Today I started two. I hope they grow! I am very very excited!

Plump Avocado Seed Rooting into Jar
Growing an Avocado from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsMay 18, 2004
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
🎉
🎄