Fatsia Japonica with Burn Marks on the Leaves

Q: I've no idea what gardening zone I'm in but we have mild winters and mild summers - not much difference between the two it seems! My problem is a fatsia japonica which has developed what looks like cigarette burns on the leaves. Anyone have an idea what would cause this? No other plant is affected.

Scraig1 from Ireland

A: Scraigl,

This sounds an awful lot like leaf spot-a fungal disease caused by several different fungi. It spreads readily by means of spores from splashing water (rain), wind or insects-especially in humid conditions when the plant's leaves never have a chance to fully dry. The best way to keep it from spreading is to remove any infected leaves when the plant is dry. Also make sure to clean up any fallen leaf debris under the plant and avoid watering from overhead to keep leaves dry. Leaf spot can also be spread by dirty tools, so keep your garden tools clean to avoid spreading the spores. Treat existing leaf spot with a commercial fungicide containing fixed copper. Follow label directions carefully.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Do you mist your plants? If you are spraying the leaves (with water) then letting it sit in the sun, the water droplets work like little magnifying glasses and will burn the leaves.

Many thanks for the message. Unfortunately its not a water & sun problem, I'm pretty careful about that. I think it may be a fungus so against all my instincts I'm going to spray... :(

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthJune 7, 2006
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Japanese Aucuba
Growing Aucuba Japonica
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2017 at 12:39:45 AM on 10.0.1.29 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.