Growing Potted Plants on Balcony in Cairo

I live in the suburbs of Cairo on the 8th floor. My apartment faces northwest, lots of dust, wind, and humidity especially in summer. I love plants, but unfortunately did not succeed with growing any on my 2 nice balconies. I am seeking advice, as nothing is surviving.

By amani from Cairo, Egypt

I am told it is very, very hot in Cairo. Is it possible you don't have large enough pots? Anything under two gallons or so would dry out in a day in Cairo. Also, when you water, you should let it run until water comes out the drain holes in the bottom. Is there shade available for the plants? Are you using a plant fertilizer especially for your kinds of plants? I use MiracleGro Bloom Boost -- don't know if you can get it there. Are you using a good potting soil? Plain dirt just doesn't do for potted plants. Gee, I hope this is helpful to you.

It may also depend on the pots themselves getting too hot and boiling the roots. Try putting the pots in larger pots to shade them a bit. Water deeply in the morning and check them when you get home to see if they are still a bit damp or not. Ask where you are buying your plants what kind will do best for your location. Marigolds are native to Africa, so maybe try some of those. Or try different succulents (cacti, burrows tail, hens & chicks, agave)? They are tolerant to drought/desert conditions. Good luck! Sounds really challenging!

Home and Garden Gardening City GardeningJuly 13, 2009
Potted Plant
Protecting Furniture from Potted Plants
Transplanting Amaryllis
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Photo of a potted plant.
Filler Ideas for Potted Plants