Too Much Fat in Dog Treats?

This is for all of you pet owners. For the past six days, I have been nursing a dog back to health, and I'm still not quite certain that she will make it.

Every morning, the dogs would bark, and my husband would give them either a "fake bacon treat," or a "fake t-bone" treat. (name brand.)

Suddenly one of the girls started vomiting. She'd been kind of lethargic for a couple of weeks. She kept vomiting all day. I don't know how many times she vomited, and she vomited close to midnight.

We took her to the vet, and he gave her subcutaneous fluid injections, an anti-vomit shot that made her scream like I thought she was going to die, and then he gave me a prescription diet can of food to feed her over several days (she's a toy breed.) Plus, she's on anti-vomit pills all this time.

Our vet's prognosis is that she was getting brand name treats that have too much fat in them, and it's all unregulated by the government. Nobody knows from batch to batch how much fat is in these treats, and if I hadn't taken her to the vet, she would have died.

She's still not quite okay, but she did pass a good stool today, finally, after 5 days, and terrible diarrhea.

I just got a clue from someone on the internet that good dog food companies have been bought up by bigger major companies, and that another food is going to be changing it's "formula." Watch out for sick pets.

I've figured out what's happening, and it isn't nice. If you really love your pet, learn how to feed them at home, instead of this junk that people are selling off as pet foods. Chicken heads, feathers, everything else we won't eat, including cancerous cattle are going into pet foods.

If you had to sit up day and night with little or no sleep for 6 days because of commercial dog food that made a dog sick, and have to pay a huge vet bill, you'd be with me on this.

I care, and I hope all your pets are safe and sound.

By Carol L. from South Bend, IN

I also have the fake bacon treats for my dogs (dachshunds). However, they only get one each once or twice a week. Other than that they get either milk bones, rawhides, or other crunchy treats. The bacon treats do have a lot of fat and so shouldn't be given regularly.

Carol your experience is truly horrible but please know that there are lots of good dog foods on the market. You just have to know where to look because the brands I am talking about aren't available in most chain pet places. Try Flint River Ranch, Eagle Pack Holistic or Merrick. Also a great publication to learn more about dogs and dog products is Whole Dog Journal. Once a year they do a special issue on dog food and analyze a ton of brands and tell you exactly what is in each brand, where the food is made, etc. I only go with food made in the USA and made by the people who sell it (I won't buy it if the company has contracted out to some giant plant to make the food for them). I hope this helps and good luck.

Yes you are right aobut the treats and the dog food. I have six dogs and I have to feed three of them with home made food because I have tried many of the brands of dog food that you can find in the stores but my dogs have an alergic reaction. One of them even developed an ear infection that became chronic. The vet gave her two different treatments but the infection is still there after two years. So I decided to prepare their food and she is much better now. Thank you for your post! I hope that your dogs get 100% better! Let me know.

I agree with the poster about the Whole Dog Journal. It's inexpensive and filled with great information. They do a review of many dog foods once a year. I use it to decide what to feed my dogs.

I've also found out that my dogs like vegetables: carrots, beans and snow peas - use them like treats. It's good to check on what you want to feed them as some vegetables aren't good for them, but many are. Inexpensive AND good for them - What could be better?

I don't trust a single store bought treat with all the recalls. I feed my dogs diamond lamb meal and rice, or some such other food without by products, and artificial coloring or wheat or other additives. They also get soft dog food mixed with a little olive oil, and a couple of eggs, and a dollop of yogurt each night.

The cats get the same type of food, no wheat or artificial ingredients. I find it pretty cheap at the tractor supply store. They eat less. I will not buy treats in the treat bags. I sometimes get hot dogs and keep them or other times will buy a small high quality food of dog food, like authority or some such food, and give it to them as treats. I like to make my own chicken broth in the crock pot and keep it cooking and put potatoes and carrots etc in it. I am mainly doing it for my daughter who has special diet needs but I put it over the dogs food in the late afternoon also. They love it.

Healthy Dog Treats
Healthy Dog Treats
Pets HealthApril 2, 2010
Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Making Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
🎉
🎄