BreakfastFood Tips

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

Category Breakfast

With my husband having experienced a recent lay-off and my kids liking instant oatmeal, I have discovered how to make it on my own.

Please note, this doesn't make a lot, I just put it together this morning and stored it in a mason jar.

Ingredients

• 1 cup of powdered milk
  • 3-4 cups oatmeal, rolled kind
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar

Directions

Grind up the oatmeal. Combine the oatmeal, sugar, powdered milk and mix well, and you are done. I add jelly, perserves, peanut butter, spices, etc to flavor it. Add hot water and mix. Be careful, it will look thin at first, but as you mix it gets thicker. Add milk or water to thin out to preferred consistency.

I figure it's about 1 Tbsp. for a package of the instant stuff.

Enjoy.

Source: This was my own discovery since we have to cut back in our spending. I keep the rolled oats and powder milk in my house for cooking.

By Michele from Landisville, PA

I have been doing "instant oatmeal" for a few years now without all the fuss. In a snack bag add 1/4th cup regular oatmeal (Quaker in the big box,store brand) a sprinkle of sugar or sugar substitute, a teaspoon dry milk and some raisins or craisens or slivered almonds. To make breakfast just dump in a bowl or cup, add 1/2 cup water and microwave for about 2 minutes and let sit for another min and there ya go! I usually make up a bunch of these bags at a time so I can just grab and go in the morning! Make in a mug and the kids can eat in the car on the way to school! Believe me the oatmeal cooks up just fine! Yum!