Use Oatmeal for Bug Bites

Category Home Remedies
Many bug bites can be very itchy. An oatmeal soak or cooked oatmeal applied to the bite helps relieve the itchiness. This is a guide about using oatmeal for bug bites.

Chiggers and mosquitoes have been really bad this year, and I seem to attract more than my fair share. I seem to be especially sensitive to them, and itch for days and days. I've tried hydrocortisone and benzocaine cream (Lanacane) with not much luck.

What finally worked was so simple, it was almost unbelievable. Oatmeal. Yes, regular oatmeal. Run a bath as usual, but sprinkle in a handful or two of oatmeal. As you soak, rub handfuls of the now-mushy oatmeal on bug bites as an added anti-itch remedy. This has the added benefit of being completely natural and chemical free.

Source: I remembered reading somewhere about the anti-itch properties of oatmeal, and I was desperate.

By Camilla from Atchison, KS

By mom3 (Guest Post)
Top Comment

You can also dab mosquito bites with clear ammonia. After reading the main ingredient in a "bite stick" is ammonia, I decided to give it a try.

It stopped the itch instantly. It's thrifty too!

Kids and bugs don't always mix well. When we get bug bites, I put cooked oatmeal right on the bite marks. If the marks are really bad then I will put clear plastic wrap on top of the oatmeal, try to keep it there for 5 to 10 minutes. Then just rinse off with water, no soap. Works on just a rash too. And if the kid or baby eats some, it won't hurt.

Source: My mom did this with me as a kid.

By Melissa from Thunder Bay, Ont