Wildlife: Hummingbird

There are many hummingbirds at my house. We go through 6 to 8 feeders a day. This one obliged for a close up.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Hummingbird Upclose

September 28, 2011 Flag

I had already taken down my hummingbird feeder BUT on seeing a flash of one come to the window I put it back up with sugar water in it. Sure enough, up came this fat little fella. He should have already flown south by now. I understand they really fill-up before flying south for the winter.

By Eileen H.

Hummingbird at Red Feeder

Hummingbirds that are traveling south will stop at a feeder as they travel. Unless you are at the North Pole you very easily could be on a migration route. I wondered about this at one point and realized they may find feeders when they are traveling back North in the spring to get to their birth area.

Thanks to all who told me about their Hummingbirds, and I will do as suggested, leave the feeder up even in winter. I am so lucky that they come right up to the kitchen window, I love to watch them.

Could you all please vote for me, with the price of sugar these days I could do with the $25.00 prize money to keep my feeder in sugar water all winter. LOL

Well, I learned something about hummingbirds, too. I have never seen any here on Long Island, but friends say they have. I didn't know some don't fly south, I wonder how they survive the winter? Your photo is marvelous. I've heard it's hard to photograph them as their wings beat so fast. I voted for you anyway, but your comment about the price of sugar is hilarious! I hope you win. In any case, you're very kind to take care of the birds all year round. Best Wishes!

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJuly 29, 2011
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Nest
Identifying a Hummingbird Nest
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder