Inexpensive Baby Shower Ideas

I need ideas for giving a baby shower for a family member. I need something that wouldn't be very pricey, as I need to keep the cost down, but for it to still be nice.

By Becca from OR

Best Answer

Becca, I helped with the decoration for my daughter-in-law's shower. There are many decorations that that will look super, but cost little. How about the cake being a diaper? Just bake a 13x9 cake and cut bottom 2 corners off at angle. Spread with white frosting. You can even make big safety pins colored and cut out from poster board and stick on sides of diaper. Write a cute saying on the cake. You can also do the diaper cake and the new mom keeps it. How about a vase on main table filled with roses you make from infant socks (get from a dollar store)?

Do you like to paint? Dollar stores also sell onesies. Take fabric paint and make Mom an "original" onesie. For a game, cut little squares and fold like diapers. In one use a brown marker to make some "poo-poo". Punch holes and tie closed with ribbon. Insert a diaper pin in each. Give them to each guest as they arrive and tell them not to peek. They all open at same time and the one with the poo, wins. A little gift like stationary or such.

Hit the dollar stores. They have some great stuff you can use. Make sure someone takes lots of pictures! It is a special moment for Mom to be and someone can make a scrapbook for her as a gift someday. Another inexpensive thing is to make her a coupon book. If others want to join in, have each make their coupon (use all same size such as index cards). Offer a service like free babysitting for an evening. Sign your name and decorate the card. Put them together like a book. She will love it. New Moms appreciate all the help they can get! Have fun.

Just think inexpensive but sweet. You'll do fine!

Best Answer

As for games we had clothespins in the child's gender color (or you can use green if you don't know the gender) anytime someone said baby their clothespin got taken away. We played diaper your pal. We used toilet tissue and whoever diapered the other one fastest with everything covered won a prize. We had door prizes from the Dollar Tree. We played who can suck the sucker fastest without chewing it up; must be like using a pacifier. We also played baby bingo which you can find online and print off.

I did a diaper cake made from real diapers and little toys, thermometer and other goodies. Our prizes came from the dollar tree. A loofa sponge, pocketbook first aid kit, rubber ducky (for fun), and lots of other dollar things. We had a blast and divided up the food.

Good luck.

Gem

For food, just make cupcakes, frost in white and put pink and blue sprinkles on the tops. Serve coffee, punch, and water. For decorations use a bouquet of latex balloons, in pink, blue and white for the main decoration, then cut crepe paper streamers in those colors and swag from the ceiling. For games, pick what you want and and go to a dollar store to buy little socks, mittens, etc. for prizes, with the prizes being donated to the mother-to-be. At the shower for my grandaugher, only one game was played, and I don't know how many rolls of toilet tissue it took. Each guest had to tear off a strip of that they thought would fit all the way around my grandaughter's stomach and the closest to the size was the winner.

Get most of your supplies from the dollar store. Dollar Tree (no affliation to me) is one of the best, I think. They have great looking party supplies, at a dollar of course, and a great selection. Then consider just mostly using things around the house or that you can borrow for the table. I used pot plants and small candles in glasses that I already had at one of mine. A very wealthy woman (who no doubt had been to lots of parties) remarked as she left that it was one of the nicest baby showers she had ever been to, which I thought was a very nice testament to my creativity.

Go to the dollar store. You can get table cloths for the tables for a dollar each. Look in the party section, solid color pink or blue will work. Also think about the future if you see that there may be another shower or two in the future then you can buy better items and keep them in a special place for the future. A lady at my church bought cups for one baby shower and she bought a lot of them and we had some left over so we put them in a plastic container and had them the next time and did not have to buy cups.Ask friends and families to help, some people can sew and do crafts to make decorations. Also google baby shower ideas

I think the best way to do something inexpensive would be to make it yourself, that shows loving and kindness and more effort than simply just buying something from a store. Baking, as has been suggested, is a great idea. It's cheap, easy to do, and who doesn't love a cupcake?

Some people enjoy the idea of charitable donations in the name of someone else (i.e. buying goats for villages, etc.). Finally you could get a gift for the baby which gives to charity at the same time (if you do decide to stretch your budget), for example at http://www.bedted.com/loveonegiveone/ if you buy a baby blanket they donate a similar item to charity. Two birds with one stone!

Tho if your budget is staying down I'd keep with baking!

Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties Baby Shower AdviceMarch 3, 2011
Baby Shower Cookies
Baby Shower Favor Ideas
Making Doo Doo Drop Diapers
Making Doo Doo Drop Diapers
Baby Shower Cake Ideas
Baby Shower Cake Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎄