Well Water Making Laundry Smell Bad

We use well water in our area and because of that water when I wash towels they always have a fowl smell to them. What can I do to take away the smell?

WarpedAngel from MD

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try putting vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Wash towels in the hottest water possible. Add Baking soda in the wash water - 1 cup. Vinegar in the rinse water - 1 cup. Good Luck

Thank you! I hope it works. I hate it because I wash them then come time to use them and when they get wet that foul smell comes out more and it feels like the stench stays on my skin, it's disgusting. Thanks for the input! Wish me luck!

I would send out a water sample and find out whats "IN" the water and then get the appropriate filtering system to combat it.

Your well water shouldn't have a foul smell to it. I'd be afraid to drink it without having it tested. You didn't say what it smelled like. If it smells like rotten eggs, it could be sulphur in your water.

Well water shouldn't have an odor. It should taste nice and fresh like fancy mineral water sold in bottles, like Perrier. (lol) Good luck and with warm regards, Carol

All we have is sulphur water. We have learned to use it without noticing the smell. (It did take a while), but the laundry has never smelled at all. The water has been tested and is perfectly safe to drink, I have never had any trouble with odors in laundry.

Hello. I have always had well water and it shouldn't smell bad at all. Now as for the foul smelling towels, I would take a look at what kind of washing machine you use. We upgraded to the new he frontloader from a big name brand and started having the same problem. I just learned that if you have a rubber type ring around the opening of the washer, it will get moldy. It needs to be cleaned weekly by using a bleach cloth or something of the kind to keep mold from building. I now have no problems and it was just on my towels like you were describing. Anyway, I hope this helps. Me and about 6 others I know just solved the same exact problem. Oh, and make sure if you do have a front loader washer to leave the door open between washings to let it air out.

Well, I looked at the washer (Which is a couple of months new) and it has no rubber material in it at all. Plus it's an Oasis HE and I can't leave it open while it washes because with this washer once everything is set as in settings wise, it locks itself until the wash is done. The smell happened with the old washer too so I thought perhaps it was the washer. I guess I'm going to try the baking soda and vinegar idea see if that works out. I guess to describe the smell i'm talking about would be... it smells like a dirty wet towel.

I have the exact same problem with our well. I've noticed it on my clothes as well. For example, if I leave a shirt in a drawer for a few weeks without wearing it, it will start to smell, even though it's clean. The smell is horrible....like a mold smell. I've noticed the same smell when we go to brush our teeth or take showers, so I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty washer in my case. Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. But i can smell the smell in water all around the house. but the washer does pose a real big problem. I'm not sure I can get used to it. I have a sensitive nose. Does the vinegar leave a strange smell? or anything like that?

I don't have the smell problem, but I noticed that all of my whites are dingy dingy dingy... I have tried vinegar, I have tried Calgon water softener, something called "Iron out" , and Blueing. Nothing helps.... I never had this problem until I moved to this house with well water.... any other suggestions?

Karol

I don't have the smell problem, but I noticed that all of my whites are dingy dingy dingy. I have tried vinegar, I have tried Calgon water softener, something called "Iron out" , and Bluing. Nothing helps. I never had this problem until I moved to this house with well water. Any other suggestions? Karol

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 17, 2008
Washing Clothes
Washing Clothes in Well Water
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:14:30 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 984 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.