Well Water Making Laundry Smell Bad - Categories:

LaundryCleaning

Well Water Making Laundry Smell Bad

We use well water in our area and because of that water when I wash towels they always have a fowl smell to them. What can I do to take away the smell?

WarpedAngel from MD

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try putting vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Wash towels in the hottest water possible. Add Baking soda in the wash water - 1 cup. Vinegar in the rinse water - 1 cup. Good Luck

Thank you! I hope it works. I hate it because I wash them then come time to use them and when they get wet that foul smell comes out more and it feels like the stench stays on my skin, it's disgusting. Thanks for the input! Wish me luck!

I would send out a water sample and find out whats "IN" the water and then get the appropriate filtering system to combat it.

Your well water shouldn't have a foul smell to it. I'd be afraid to drink it without having it tested. You didn't say what it smelled like. If it smells like rotten eggs, it could be sulphur in your water.

Well water shouldn't have an odor. It should taste nice and fresh like fancy mineral water sold in bottles, like Perrier. (lol) Good luck and with warm regards, Carol

All we have is sulphur water. We have learned to use it without noticing the smell. (It did take a while), but the laundry has never smelled at all. The water has been tested and is perfectly safe to drink, I have never had any trouble with odors in laundry.

Hello. I have always had well water and it shouldn't smell bad at all. Now as for the foul smelling towels, I would take a look at what kind of washing machine you use. We upgraded to the new he frontloader from a big name brand and started having the same problem. I just learned that if you have a rubber type ring around the opening of the washer, it will get moldy. It needs to be cleaned weekly by using a bleach cloth or something of the kind to keep mold from building. I now have no problems and it was just on my towels like you were describing. Anyway, I hope this helps. Me and about 6 others I know just solved the same exact problem. Oh, and make sure if you do have a front loader washer to leave the door open between washings to let it air out.

Well, I looked at the washer (Which is a couple of months new) and it has no rubber material in it at all. Plus it's an Oasis HE and I can't leave it open while it washes because with this washer once everything is set as in settings wise, it locks itself until the wash is done. The smell happened with the old washer too so I thought perhaps it was the washer. I guess I'm going to try the baking soda and vinegar idea see if that works out. I guess to describe the smell i'm talking about would be... it smells like a dirty wet towel.

I have the exact same problem with our well. I've noticed it on my clothes as well. For example, if I leave a shirt in a drawer for a few weeks without wearing it, it will start to smell, even though it's clean. The smell is horrible....like a mold smell. I've noticed the same smell when we go to brush our teeth or take showers, so I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty washer in my case. Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. But i can smell the smell in water all around the house. but the washer does pose a real big problem. I'm not sure I can get used to it. I have a sensitive nose. Does the vinegar leave a strange smell? or anything like that?

I don't have the smell problem, but I noticed that all of my whites are dingy dingy dingy... I have tried vinegar, I have tried Calgon water softener, something called "Iron out" , and Blueing. Nothing helps.... I never had this problem until I moved to this house with well water.... any other suggestions?

Karol

I don't have the smell problem, but I noticed that all of my whites are dingy dingy dingy. I have tried vinegar, I have tried Calgon water softener, something called "Iron out" , and Bluing. Nothing helps. I never had this problem until I moved to this house with well water. Any other suggestions? Karol

I can't use store bought detergents somehow they mix do not mix well with our well water and the laundry automatically smells gross like when you forgot to move the wet clothes into the dryer for a few days. Seeps into clothes and then skin. Ugh!! I started making a powder detergent with a bar of soap like felps Napa or the pink one, I think bonner was my fave but local grocery stores sell felps Napa. Anyway I cut the soap in chunks and throw into the ninja then add borax and arm and hammer washing soda( I always have to google the recipe) anyway it works amazing. I tried regular gain very recently bc I'm in nursing school and work and have little kids I am so run down!! And now I'm rewashing a few smelly loads of laundry because the spell came back!!! This wasn't a problem with the same washer and dryer at our old house that had a well also. We have some sort of filter that I used to make my husband change constantly if get less than a week of laundry before it stunk again. I can almost garuntee this will fix the problem. I am sort of scared to take a bath or drink/cook with the water. But it was tested when we bought the house. We have to keep bleach in the toilet tanks or they get disgusting too!

I have the same problem and I hate it. I put fabric softener in with the wash and have used various laundry aids and the towels still smell terrible. The longer they sit unused, the worse they smell too. Also....my whites are no long white...no matter what I do to wash them. If I use the vinegar...won't the towels have that vinegar smell??

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 17, 2008
Washing Clothes
Washing Clothes in Well Water
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 6, 2016 at 8:31:28 PM on 10.0.2.189 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.