Keeping Eggs Fresh

My mom told me she keeps eggs longer by turning her carton upside down once a week. This keeps the yolk in the center of the egg instead of it falling to one end as it ages. So week one the top of the carton faces upward and then week two it faces downward. She said she has kept eggs for a couple months this way.

By Katz

I use the same idea for fresh berries. I place a paper towel inside the carton and I keeping flipping them back and forth as I use and they seem to stay fresh longer. I wrap paper towels around other produce like green peppers. Cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese I turn the cartons upside and they last longer.

Dottie from Indy

May 20, 2010 Flag

Now that we are back to the two of us and watching our cholesterol, a dozen eggs lasts us a very long time. Being frugal, I hate to throw anything out once it's reached its expiration date, but I don't want to use anything that might be dangerous to eat. Someone shared this rule-of-thumb with me, and I've used it successfully for years. Place a raw egg in a bowl of cold water and wait a moment. Fresh eggs will stay on the bottom of the bowl. If it's too old, it will float. "If it floats, throw it out!" (You may need a bit of a Canadian accent to make it rhyme).

By sandykaye from Hagerstown, MD

I will add one or two thoughts you might want to consider. First, if the large end of the egg tips up, but the smaller end stays pointed down, the egg is still usable. It just needs to be used soon, and I normally boil them at that point. Second, you can always crack 3 or 4 eggs, or even more and only use the yolk from one. When you stir them up, you can enjoy scrambled eggs, without the guilt of too much egg yolk. If you enjoy sweet peppers, even onions, a bit of each can be sauteed first, adding the egg just in time to cook and enjoy all together. That way you use it all and no waste is always better than throwing food away. (That comes from being connected with church "food pantries"), and knowing just how little some people have.

When u say to put the egg in the water, is it in the shell or out of the shell? I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I could still separate the egg from the water if it was out of the shell. I feel really stupid right now, cause it sounds like it ought to b apparent.

The best trick I found out right here at Thrifty Fun is to buy the most eggs at the best price you can find. Then freeze what you won't need for awhile. The frozen eggs, when thawed, whip up beautifully and have a wonderful fresh flavor if frozen right away. They can be frozen whole or divided whites and yolks.

Hi ct!

Leave the egg in the shell. And don't feel stupid, I should have been more specific :o)

Eggs in Circle on White Background
Keeping Eggs Fresh
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsSeptember 4, 2004
Farm Fresh Eggs
Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs