Browsing: Keeping Eggs Fresh

Keeping Eggs Fresh

My mom told me she keeps eggs longer by turning her carton upside down once a week. This keeps the yolk in the center of the egg instead of it falling to one end as it ages. So week one the top of the carton faces upward and then week two it faces downward. She said she has kept eggs for a couple months this way.

By Katz

I use the same idea for fresh berries. I place a paper towel inside the carton and I keeping flipping them back and forth as I use and they seem to stay fresh longer. I wrap paper towels around other produce like green peppers. Cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese I turn the cartons upside and they last longer.

Dottie from Indy

May 20, 2010 Flag

Now that we are back to the two of us and watching our cholesterol, a dozen eggs lasts us a very long time. Being frugal, I hate to throw anything out once it's reached its expiration date, but I don't want to use anything that might be dangerous to eat. Someone shared this rule-of-thumb with me, and I've used it successfully for years. Place a raw egg in a bowl of cold water and wait a moment. Fresh eggs will stay on the bottom of the bowl. If it's too old, it will float. "If it floats, throw it out!" (You may need a bit of a Canadian accent to make it rhyme).

By sandykaye from Hagerstown, MD

Eggs in Circle on White Background
Keeping Eggs Fresh
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsSeptember 4, 2004
Farm Fresh Eggs
Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:55:50 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.