Highlighting and Dyeing to Cover Grey

I naturally have dark hair and am now having to dye it every six weeks in order to keep the grays at bay (I'm probably 5 -10 percent gray). I like dark hairstyles with a few chunky blond highlights around the crown. I am unable to budget such a beauty treatment at this time and I am also the do-it-yourself type.

Could I dye it my normal dark color to hide the grays and then follow it with a highlight kit from the grocery store? If so, how do I handle it six weeks from now? Would I re-dye the entire head of hair and create new blonde chunky highlights all over again?

I have googled, but can't seem to come up with a good answer, as most of them do not have to dye their hair for grays. Thanks for any detailed answers you can give.

By Marla from MO

Best Answer

Personally, since you're only 5 to 10 % gray, I would suggest simply doing the chunky highlights around the crown. At least try it for three or four months and you just might find you like it and you'll be saving yourself an added step headache and money too ;-)

The other thing you can try is using Clairol Natural Instincts two or three shades lighter than your natural color and your gray will be your highlight because a lighter color was deposited on the gray and barely any lifting of your natural color. It might not look like chunky blonde highlights but it will look slightly highlighted and looks really natural. This is what I do ;-)

Here is a link regarding a natural hair dye for gray hair: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/graydye.html

I too will be using this technique in the near future.

I suggest to use Fanciful hair color in between dying. You will not need to dye for more than 6 weeks. Also get a Touch up stick at beauty supply store to use in between shampooing. You can get the Fanciful from beauty supply store. You can try the highlighting. Go for it, why not? Good luck.

You can call the number on the box of hair dye. They usually have a helpful representative who answers questions.

Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringOctober 31, 2009
girl with highlights
Highlighting Your Hair
Scrapbooking
Making Scrapbooks for Your Students
Dark Circles Under Eyes
Remedies for Dark Circles Under Eyes
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover
🎉
🎄