KitchenHome Improvement

Water Causes Painted Countertops Finish to Raise

I painted my counter tops and they came out great. I finished with polyacrylic water based. When the counter gets droplet of water the finish raises, but when it dries the finish goes back to normal. Should I re-sand finish and use a oil based acrylic? Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

Cherrie from Alfred Station, NY

AS an ex-Navy wife, I was married to someone who was taught, "If it doesn't move, paint it!" Any paint that says, "water-based" is cleaned OFF with water.

If it were mine, I'd clean it all off, sand it down with a

sand paper meant for sanding plastic/formica, then use only Epoxy paint, in a WELL VENTILATED AREA, because it has strong fumes, but lasts VERY long.

Be sure to use WIDE paint masking tape (blue) on all edges and areas next to whatever you're painting.

The secret to using Epoxy paint, I understand, is to

allow it a FULL 24-36 hours to CURE, not just dry. Plan NOT TO EVEN GO INTO THE KITCHEN while waiting through the timing. Leave the windows open

for the first full day, even the stove top exhaust fan

on all day, BUT, don't leave the home completely, if you can help it, so that you can keep an eye on it.

The one OTHER thing about Epoxy is that it's rock hard, and canNOT be removed once down. It's truly

permanent, splashes won't clean easily, so be extra careful, newspaper the floor first, plan on tossing the

paint PAD you use, or the spray cans?, and let any child get babysat, along with any pets. The fumes are just strong and you MUST read the label well BEFORE buying it, so that you are well informed and willing to follow the directions to the letter! This is what professional "resufacers" use, taking their time

during the application so that it's done smoothly because it's unforgiving after cured. Oil paint will likely scratch and eventually peel. Acrylic will mildew, bubble, and peel as well. Epoxy is the preferred application. My neighbor marbelized hers with a kit and did a lovely job, but I don't know if she used acrylic, oil or epoxy, because she moved and I haven't become friends with the new neighbors. Good luck with your decision. God bless and help you. : )