Make Your Own Pearlite

If you need to lighten potting soil, instead of using pearlite you can make your own. Simply grind some Styrofoam packing peanuts in a food processor for a few seconds and add them to the soil.

By Teresa from Ypsilanti, MI

if you are trying to make hanging baskets lighter, just put some styrofoam peanuts in the bottom, then put something like a coffee filter on top of that and add your soil. This also saves having to buy so much soil.

I think perlite is much safer than polystyrene, and I'd avoid putting any plastics in or even near the garden. Maybe wadded newspaper would work.

Peasta the tip was for potting soil which would be used for house plants. I agree with you that I wouldn't use it in my vegetable garden. But I don't know anyone that uses pearlite in their garden either. Perhaps I should have made my tip more clear as to where to use it.

Man planting in a garden.
Saving Money on Gardening
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJune 23, 2011
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Plant Sale
Saving Money by Shopping End-Of-Season Plant Sales
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Evergreen garland with berries and glass Christmas ornaments.
Making an Evergreen Garland