My Cat Is Clumsy

I have a cat that knocks down everything... glasses, cups, candles, shampoo bottles. Nothing is safe! What is wrong with him? Here are a few other things I noticed. When I call his name softly his ears don't move, but if I yell his name his ears will move. Also his eyes do not seem to dilate much. His eyes seem small as well, but this could be from his pupils looking so big all the time. He can follow hand movements.

He is also a very non aggressvie animal, very playfull and he gets along with new animals. Two other things I have noticed is his head seems small and he dosen't meow. He does this sort of high pitched "YOWWWWW". Could Beaker be semi-blind or deaf? Could he be retarded? He is a good cat and I will keep him, even though he drives me crazy with knocking things over, but I would like to know what is going on...

Mel from New York

I'm sure there are many different factors that should be looked into by a vet. He may be near blind and near deaf, but a cats agility is not related to these 2 problems. They have ways of knowing where things are without seeing them. He may have an inner ear infection, ear mites, or any number of ear related problems. His eye sight could be affected by eye herpes. I know that sounds weird, but I had a cat that actually had this, however, he had matted eyes that looked infected. You can call a vet for advice, or search for one on the internet that offers advice. If I find anything, I will let you know.

I found this link, it might be helpful:

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cmotion.html#Balance%20problems

I did a search on Google for "feline illnesses" it gave me more information than cat illness.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... ne+illness%22&btnG=Google+Search

If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck,

Tina

Have him checked by a vet. My cat had similar symptoms. It was a pretty bad ear infection. He was a stray that we took in. He is right as rain now.

Let us all know what happens! Thanks for keeping him "anyway". So many people wouldn't. We have the vet bills to prove that many people won't keep their cats when something is 'wrong' with them. Also, if he isnt spayed or neutered, I strongly encourage it. :-)

-kim

I know you were trying to get some sort of an idea about your cat before you go spend money at the Vet but really that is your best bet. Sounds like you love your pet so you really want to do right by him.

I lived with cats many years and I noticed how they could walk amongst things on the counter or wherever and never knock a single thing over. They are very agile. You may just have one that's a bit clumsy....it could very well be an ear problem and he's got a balance problem.

None of us tho is truly an expert so it's best you take him in asap.

I will only answer on the vocalization of your cat, as I agree he should be checked out by a vet.

Cats have many forms of vocalization, not just the old 'me-ow' Like people cats have different pitches and tones for different things. A friend of mine had a cat who never mi-owed at all! He was perfectly healthy otherwise, he chose not to 'talk"

My own 2 cats have a range of vocalisation from squeaks (like a mouse) to a noise like a duck quacking as well as the normal sounds. One approximates English language words so well, you can't believe it. He says 'Out' when he wants to go outside. 'Up' when he's coming up the stairs, and 'Meat' when I open the fridge to get their food!

So, don't worry too much about his voice, as long as you get him health checked in other areas.

Ellie.

I think your cat should be checked by the vet. It seems he or she cannot see or hear as well as it should. this however, doesnt mean that it isnt smart. I believe animals are smarted than what we give them credit for.

My cat learned at 10 yrs old to stay on the deck and not jump off it. She comes when I call her just like a dog. I offer her a treat when she comes. My son tells me he can communicate with her by the sound of her meows! (Ok, now I know I sound like a nitwit here, but please bear with me... lol) He told her Mommy (thats me) went to work... Kitty asked if I was going to bring tuna!! I kid you not. That is what we tell her when we go to work that we need to hunt and bring back food (tuna). she uses one of her meows for tuna... lol

Please let us know how you made out with your cat at the veteranarians.

best of luck,

My cat has been huge and clumsy it's entire life. He is some kind of cross between a feral and domestic cat that has given him huge feet and thick leg bones, and he's larger than my terrier. However he thinks he is dainty and as small as the rest of my cats. This doesn't work well when he decides to jump on me when I am sleeping as who needs 25 lbs landing on them. I have taken him to a number of vets. They all say there is nothing wrong with him. For 11 years I have put up with Marco's calamity in motion. He trips coming up the stairs, has broken windows, broken more items then I care to remember and I have just come to accept that he is like a cannon ball moving through the house.

Pets CatsAugust 23, 2006
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Girl with her has face painted like a black cat.
Making a Cat Costume
🎄