Cleaning a Dog Kennel

Category Odors
When dogs need to be kenneled, it is important to keep their environment clean and safe to maintain their health. This guide is about cleaning a dog kennel.

I have dog kennel with a wood floor. How do I get rid of the urine smell that's in the wood?

By Rich

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try covering the floor of the kennel with a generous amount of baking soda - get plenty into the joins of the wood. Leave overnight then vacuum away. Or you could mix white vinegar & baking soda together and sponge wash the floor leaving it on for a few hours then hose it clean. Put the kennel in the sun to dry. Good luck

use coffee grounds ... I bought a building that was apparently a puppy mill before and the floor reeked of urine and feces .. the lady that owns the place said a friend of hers that raises rats told her to use coffee grounds bc it works wonders with the rat odor and sure enough it worked awesomely it smelled good and absorbed the odor of the urine and feces

I am setting up a new kennel in the yard for my Sheltie, Blue. How should I keep it clean? Is there a system that can have the waste washed into or do I have to scoop
daily? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Nelwyn from Bunkie

Dogs will go to the bathroom in one spot usually. You just need to scoop it up daily. The dog will only go once or twice a day. I let my dogs roam my fenced yard and I clean up after them. I have 4 dogs. Yours will be a breeze :)

I'm hoping this is for the dog's safety & not to force the dog to live a horrible life stuck in a kennel outside.

I have 3 large dogs in a large kennel my husband built. we put cement bricks on the ground for a floor to keep the mud down. i keep a 5 gal bucket with a lid, lined with plastic garbage bags outside the kennel. i scoop once per day, then put the bag in the trash on trash pick up day. also, i hose out the kennel every two weeks. this keeps the odor down. the dogs have wooden pallets to lay on when the ground is cold. depending on where you live, you have to be careful leaving your dog outside if it's too hot or too cold. if they will sleep out there too, you will need some type of dog house attached for shelter. they need to have fresh water avail at all times. i use aluminum stock pots from dollar general tied to the side of the kennel with a bungee cord so they can't be tipped over. i wash these out weekly and fill daily with a hose and watering can.

If its an ouside kennel, you can just spray it with a hose. or wait until the waste is dried then sweap it. Though the hose works the best!

We offer a wonderful product for cleaning and sanitizing kennels. Please visit our website, http://wysiwash  nnelcleaner.html for additional information and photos. When you decide to order, please use the promotion code 'wysiwashbd' for a $5 discount.

that's the most disgusting way of keeping a dog iv ever heard of . sorry. I own a boarding kennel I'm a dog trainer and a groomer. please get educated before suggesting to others. dogs water needs to be cleaned at least once a day. for a start.

How do you get rid of excessive dog odor in a kennel? We have English bulldogs, and sometimes the dog odor is almost unbearable. It is not a urine or feces odor, but just the dog smell. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By MH

Bleach

Try vinegar. I use vinegar for all my cleaning and everything smells great and the vinegar odor leaves in just a few hours. Its' also like a germ killer.