Browsing: Cleaning a Dog Kennel

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Dog Kennel

When dogs need to be kenneled, it is important to keep their environment clean and safe to maintain their health. This guide is about cleaning a dog kennel.

Lab in a kennel.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 25, 2014 Flag

We have a very small kennel run and cannot thoroughly clean it with water but once a week at best. We really hate using chemicals, but would like to find something natural and very safe for our kids. What do you know that we don't?

By grannylovesme

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would hose it out really well, then pour a bleach and water mixture all over the kennel, let it sit, then rinse well and allow to dry. Good luck.

Use white vinegar mixed with water. I clean up after my dogs with it all the time.

July 19, 2013 Flag

I have dog kennel with a wood floor. How do I get rid of the urine smell that's in the wood?

By Rich

Try covering the floor of the kennel with a generous amount of baking soda - get plenty into the joins of the wood. Leave overnight then vacuum away. Or you could mix white vinegar & baking soda together and sponge wash the floor leaving it on for a few hours then hose it clean. Put the kennel in the sun to dry. Good luck

November 13, 2008 Flag

I volunteer with a human society. I have been using their mixture of bleach and water to clean and disinfect the dog crates and kennels. I personally do no use bleach in my home life, and would like to know if there is a recipe that I could make to disinfect the kennels.

Heidi from Salem, OH

Please "never" use bleach for cleaning areas for pets or people, instead use "White Vinegar". White vinegar is great for cleaning and disinfecting and not poisonous. Vet's have recommended this for years. Go online and check it out.

It has been proven that vinegar and peroxide make a great earth and people and pet friendly disinfectant. My husband and I own a cleaning service. We don't use bleach products and have recently switched to using natural cleaners. You can search the internet for proof, by using, "vinegar and peroxide as disinfectant".

You must not MIX the two. Each must be in a separate bottle. Spray first one, let it sit for a minute, then follow with the other. It doesn't matter whether you use the peroxide first, or the vinegar first. I use the vinegar first, then the peroxide.

White vinegar has less of a smell (and is cheaper) than apple cider vinegar. For added disinfectant and a fresher smell, you could add some essential oil to the vinegar and peroxide. Most essential oils will repel fleas as well, But essential oils are pricey. On the other hand, you only need a few drops of essential oil. I recommend eucalyptus, orange or clove, if you use the essential oils. HTH

As a veterinary technician of 10+ years, I can tell you that for the cleaning that you are doing, bleach/water is the most effective and economical thing a shelter can use. First, in a shelter situation with the large number of animals in and out-it is highly likely an animal will come in that has a very contagious virus, parasite or infection-such as parvo, coccidia or giardia. Bleach/water solution is the best disinfectant for these and other diseases. There are other cleansing/disinfecting formulas out there that are specifically designed for animal care situations but these are very expensive-often too expensive for most shelters to use. The only suggestion that I can offer is to contact the manufacturers and see if they would be interested in donating some to the shelter. Good luck!

Bleach is an effective disinfectant when used properly but is NOT a cleaner. To clean and disinfect kennel environments using bleach, one must clean the area first using a soap or detergent, rinse thoroughly and apply a bleach solution (diluted 1:32) to the surface. The bleach solution must remain on the surface for at least 10 minutes before being thououghly rinsed off. Bleach is seriously inactivated (as a disinfectant) when it comes in contact with organic material such as urine, feces, blood, pus, or just plain old dirt, that is why you MUST clean all surfaces prior to disinfecting with bleach.

Read More Answers...

May 20, 2008 Flag

My 5 month old pup is in an outdoor kennel during the day. The ground cover is pea gravel. I clean up everyday, but was wondering if there was a home made antibacterial I could sprinkle or spray on weekly? Or any other suggestions to keep away unwanted bugs and flies?

Annie from Severance, CO

Dogs (and animals) are designed with a certain amount of natural resistance to germs. Don't be overly worried like the advertisers (who would like us to buy their products and sanitize everything in sight) want us to be. Daily pick-up of solid waste and changing the location of the run from time to time should suffice. I hope it is large enough to give the dog a chance to relieve itself away from its shade/shelter.

Ask a vet for a recommendation for a pet-safe insecticide to spray the area with, if you like, and follow label directions carefully. "Homemade remedies" are often fuzzy-sounding, but a waste of money when it comes to effectiveness in true scientific studies. We use Frontline to keep fleas/ticks/skeeters from biting. It is wonderful and worth the money. If you can buy in quantity, it is less $.

Plenty of time out of the run for relief and exercise (when you're home) will also limit soiling in the run.

Best Wishes & Happy Pup!

Use one part bleach to ten parts water. You will not be able to smell the bleach, and it will sanitize the kennel as your pup needs. Of course if you don't, the urine and fecal residues that filter down through it will make happy maggots and flies galore. There's nothing good about that being a 'natural' situation, it will stress the pup to smithereens. In fact the very confinement that causes the situation will be the unnatural, since in the wild dog species leave urine very widely distributed. Good for you for wanting better for your dog. Real love seeks to meet the needs of the loved one!

I knew a guy who use to raise dogs. And he would get the tobacco at a local cigarette factory. It was the stuff that was left over so he got it free. He used it for the dogs bedding and the fleas don't like it. Or I know that you can use cedar chips for the bedding. I use Odo Ban to eliminate the odors they use it in hospitals, nursing and homes for bed pans and etc. cher

I use a product from Top Performance, it is an Animal Quarters Disenfectant, detergent and deodorant. You can but it from PetEdge.com for around $20 for a gallon which is a very strong concentrate that you dilute with water. It will make about 250 gallons. It is what many vets and groomers use because it also kills parvo virus as well as others. I got an attachment for my garden hose, that I put the disenfectant in and it automatically mixes the solution as I spray. I have raised shelties for about 15 years and I have used this almost as long and love the results.

Read More Answers...

March 14, 2008 Flag

I am setting up a new kennel in the yard for my Sheltie, Blue. How should I keep it clean? Is there a system that can have the waste washed into or do I have to scoop
daily? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Nelwyn from Bunkie

I'm hoping this is for the dog's safety & not to force the dog to live a horrible life stuck in a kennel outside.

I have 3 large dogs in a large kennel my husband built. we put cement bricks on the ground for a floor to keep the mud down. i keep a 5 gal bucket with a lid, lined with plastic garbage bags outside the kennel. i scoop once per day, then put the bag in the trash on trash pick up day. also, i hose out the kennel every two weeks. this keeps the odor down. the dogs have wooden pallets to lay on when the ground is cold. depending on where you live, you have to be careful leaving your dog outside if it's too hot or too cold. if they will sleep out there too, you will need some type of dog house attached for shelter. they need to have fresh water avail at all times. i use aluminum stock pots from dollar general tied to the side of the kennel with a bungee cord so they can't be tipped over. i wash these out weekly and fill daily with a hose and watering can.

If its an ouside kennel, you can just spray it with a hose. or wait until the waste is dried then sweap it. Though the hose works the best!

We offer a wonderful product for cleaning and sanitizing kennels. Please visit our website, http://wysiwash.com/kennelcleaner.html for additional information and photos. When you decide to order, please use the promotion code 'wysiwashbd' for a $5 discount.

Read More Answers...

February 3, 2011 Flag

I have an outside kennel with a dirt and grass floor. Is there any product that I can use that is safe for my 2 dogs that will help or eliminate the urine and feces odor that comes from the kennel?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 20, 2013
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
A small dog in a kennel.
Bedding Ideas for Dog Kennels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:16:54 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.