Removing Paper Backing From Fabric Samples

Category Fabric
A woman holding several fabric samples.
Removing the paper backing on fabric samples is necessary if you are planning to use them in craft projects. However, you need to take care not to change the nature of the sample by removing sizing and other finishes. This is a guide about removing paper backing from fabric samples.

How do I take paper off of a cotton fabric sample?

By Barbara from Moorpark, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I have been given tons of fabric samples too. Removing the paper backing is very easy with a hot (old) iron. Set the iron on very hot and iron on the paper backing. After one or two seconds: peal off the paper. Repeat when required.

Best Answer

I use benzene, pour a little benzene to soak the fabric side and after a few seconds when paper underneath is wet, peel off. Then press the wet fabric against the other fabric side to moisten and peel off that paper. It works like a charm. I also remove price stickers from bottles or gifts that way.

I have been given a ton of beautiful upholstery fabric sample books, but they have paper backing around the edges of the fabric. I would like to remove the backing if possible to maximize their use (especially the 100% silks). Any ideas on how best to do it?

By the way, I plan to make bags, quilts, and dolls clothes.

Kylie from Melbourne, Australia

Answers:

Water and Upholstery Fabric

Beware, a lot of upholstery fabric changes character when exposed to enough water. Upholstery fabric often has heavy sizing or treatments like Scotchguard on them to give them the proper furniture, drapes, and cushions feel and help them last and stay clean. If you wash it in soap and water it will look like regular washed cotton fabric, or worse still, a crinkled jumbled mess. The dyes may run in the silks as well. Just a heads-up of what may (or may not) happen, and also should be considered when deciding to make a washable project.

By purrplekat

Use an Iron

I have great success using an iron. Just enough heat to loosen the glue and it peels right off.

By jlin

Load More