Frugal Quilt Backing Ideas

Category Quilting
Making quilts has often been in part about frugality and using up fabric and clothing, so saving money on the backing fits right into that tradition. This is a page about frugal quilt backing ideas.

I just recently learned to quilt and for the backing of the quilt, I used a king size sheet for my queen sized bed. I wanted a solid color and didn't want to spend $4 a yard when I could get a sheet at Walmart for $5 and get the color I wanted. I then tied it and put a binding on it and my quilt was done.

My DD did a twin quilt the same way with a double sheet. I think the only way you would have to use actual "bolt material" is if you did a quilt larger than a king, because a king flat sheet has a little over an inch of folded over material.

By Dahart from Durango, CO

I make many quilts for charities, as well as for other gifts. The perfect backing is a sheet. Twin size is the right size for the quilts our church makes for charities. Or you can buy a larger one on sale and use the extra for part of the pattern on the top of the quilt. I find twin sheets as low as $3.00 and they are a nice quality.

By Marlene from Larimore, ND

Crafts QuiltingJanuary 31, 2013
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
😷
Generated 2020-08-06 08:16:44 in 928 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Frugal-Quilt-Backing-Ideas.html