Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Does anyone know what recipes and/or foods can be frozen?

By Sharon from Newark, CA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You can freeze just about any cooked meal! I cook up ahead things like lasagna, soup, casseroles, pasta and pasta sauces (freeze the sauce and pasta separately) and place all in individual portion freezer containers.

I also freeze single serving package raw meats.

All kinds of raw fruits and veggies can be frozen. Just Google 'freezing fruits'/'freezing vegetables' and you'll find all sorts of information on which can and can not be frozen and how to prepare the ones that do need preparation for freezing.

I chop things like onions, bell peppers, etc and place them in their own containers for future recipes to cook.

Fresh herbs freeze well for future cooking too.

Bread, bagels, biscuits, etc can also be frozen. Just be sure they are tightly wrapped with plastic wrap and, for extra insurance, foil too.

I am certain others here at ThriftyFun will pipe in with more information for you. ;-)

Most foods can be frozen, even whole ears of corn! If you intend to cook the veggies, they can be frozen. Most veggies will become limp so they do not do well for like pizza toppings etc.

June 25, 2010 Flag

I went to a Homemade Gourmet party (a home business that sells spice packets and mixes) recently where we used their spice packets to make "four meals in four minutes". They were simple recipes where we put meat, maybe a can of tomatoes, spices, and the contents of a Homemade Gourmet spice packet into a Ziploc bag to take home and freeze. Then all I had to do to make the meals was put it in the crockpot.

Where can I get a bunch of quick "dump" type recipes to make from scratch to fill my freezer? I do like to cook, but with two children under 5, there are a lot of nights where using my freezer is great. I do "double and freeze" meals to fill my freezer sometimes, but these "dump" type recipes were so simple. The Homemade Gourmet products are pretty expensive and too salty, so I would like recipes to make my own and directions to use them to freeze simple meals. I've looked and looked for a website that will help pull this together for me, with no luck. Does anyone have a great link, or any other ideas?

Thanks.
Betsy from AL

Answers:

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Make Your Own Spice Mixes:

Creole Seasoning

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Italian Seasoning

• 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon sage

Seafood Seasoning

• 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoons red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground mace (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamon (optional)

Poultry Seasoning

• 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Chili Powder

• 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons oregano
  • 1 teaspoon red or cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Casserole Sauce Mix

• 2 cups nonfat dry milk
  • 3/4 cups cornstarch
  • 1/4 cups instant chicken bouillon
  • 2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed (optional)
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients; mix well. Store in airtight
container.

Makes 3 cups; enough to reconstitute sauce
equal to 9 cans of condensed soup.

To use, combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 cup water.
Cook and stir until thickened. If you like, add
mushrooms, celery, or bits of chicken to resemble the
soup you usually use.

One batch of sauce mix contains:
.2 grams fat, 95 calories and 710 milligrams of sodium.

This recipe is suitable for gluten-free diets.

Dry Ranch Dressing Mix

• 1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in the container of a food processor or blender
and process on high speed until well blended and powdery smooth. To use
mix: Combine 1 tablespoon dry mix with 1 cup milk and 1 cup mayonnaise. Mix
well. Makes 2 cups salad dressing.

(12/20/2006)

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I hate to answer my own question, but I got frustrated not finding what I was looking for.
This site has lots of "dump recipes", things you can just dump into a Ziploc bag and freeze, to fill your freezer quickly. Just like what I did at Homemade Gourmet without the high $$! I searched on the term "dump recipes" and found this site and some others. Hope this helps. /oamc.8m.com

(12/21/2006)

By Betsy

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Check out supersuppers.com.
There is possibly one in your area and they have many take home items and once a month they have a sale for "freezer food". (12/30/2006)

By Sarah

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I like to go ahead and put my BBQ sauce or whatever sauce I am going to use (Teriyaki, Mesquite, etc.) and freeze the chicken or pork chops that way. I like to make up meatballs and freeze them individually on a cookie sheet (flash freeze). Then I put them in a large Ziploc bag, this way I can pull out what I need.

I like to use the crockpot when I can. I like to take chicken breasts (however many you need, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of cheddar cheese soup (these can be the regular cans or the large ones), depending on how many pieces of chicken. I put this in the crockpot and do my work for the day. This makes a gravy and it is very good.
(01/09/2007)

By Angielikes2cook

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

The Homemade Gourmet spices come in bulk sizes with recipe cards and cost less than 10 cents a serving! If it's too salty, simply use "no salt added" canned goods. That works for me. You can always buy "packaged" seasonings at the grocery store for about $1 a packet and do the "dump method", but my family loves the Homemade Gourmet recipes and the cookbooks help me with easy meal planning that saves me lots of $$$. Super Suppers is way too expensive, but a good alternative to eating out. (07/07/2007)

By Gina

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes-Homemade Gourmet

I also really like the Homemade Gourmet idea of just dumping it. I have bought some of their product and really like them. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Buy the mix and use only half. I have found that my family really does not need as much seasoning as they use. We especially love the Grandmother's Sunday roast.

2. Host a party. Even if you don't sell very much you and your family get to try lots of their items and you can decide what you really like. I have found this is especially a good idea. Often at the party I find items I really like or items I really don't like.

3. Buy the mix once and see if you can come up with an equivalent. For example we really like the garlic basil so here is my recipe to make it at home.

• 1/2 c dry onion
  • 1 bottle dry basil (buy a nice quality)
  • 4 TBSP garlic powder
  • 2 TBSP parsley
  • 1 TBSP dry mustard
  • sugar to taste (I like about 1 TBSP)

To make a smoosh bag, empty 1 can diced tomatoes, meat of choice, and 2 to 4 TBSP of Garlic Basil seasoning. Freeze. When ready to cook, place in crock pot for the afternoon.

I hope that helps.
(05/15/2008)

By Heather

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Buy the Taste of Home magazine. No fuss freezer meals in Walmart or another grocery store. (10/11/2008)

By Alicia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 20, 2006 Flag

I have fibromyalgia and am finding daily chores becoming exhausting. I recently purchased a freezer and hope to cut my grocery shopping to once or twice a month at the most. I am looking for "make ahead" and freezer meals. Any tips, ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Fancy55

Answers:

Freezer Meal Recipes

Make a normal batch of lasagna or double the recipe and divide them into small aluminum pans that come with lids. They are fairly cheap and you can buy them at almost any grocery store. You can even reuse them after. My friend and I have done this on several occasions (great way to visit :) ) Use your own favorite lasagna recipe. You might spend a few hours making it, but then you will have ready made dinners in freezer. Definitely cheaper than buying pre-made lasagnas! (09/09/2004)

By Colleen

Freezer Meal Recipes

I saw this on TV the other day. Make a nice big pot of soup and eat all of it you want for that next meal. But with the rest of it, put it in cups after it's cooled and freeze with a cover of foil or wax paper or whatever. I think I might then want to secure wax paper or plastic with a rubber band. I don't always trust that it will stay on. Let this thaw when you or the kids are ready for it and then if you trust your cup is a good one, microwave it. Maybe save some of the Munchon cup soup cups to freeze in. You KNOW those are worthy!

For years and years my mom has kept a container in the freezer for things like the liquid off of drained vegetables or leftovers. She adds to it all the time and when it's full she has soup. My son LOVES it.

I freeze chili in containers when I get tired of it and have too much. It's wonderful!

Make a whole bagful of French Toast from day old bread when eggs come on sale! After it cools put it back in the same bread bag and it can be warmed (after it's thawed) in the toaster! (10/06/2004)

By melody_yesterday

Freezer Meal Recipes

When you make a meatloaf make two or three. Wrap the extra ones in plastic place them in a freezer bag and then when you want meatloaf, you have it right there in the freezer. (11/15/2004)

By shannon in NC

Freezer Meal Recipes

When I was expecting our little one I made up biscuits and put them in the freezer so we could have hot homemade biscuits, fast. Then one day I decided you buy already made sausage biscuits in the store why can't I do that. You know what you can. Just go ahead and cook the whole pack of sausage and you can even bake the biscuits. You just defrost them in the microwave just like the directions on the store bought one's. (11/15/2004)

By shannon in NC

Freezer Meal Recipes

I just found 16oz frozen blueberries on sale at Wal-Mart. I got two bags, came home and made homemade pancake batter, I tripled the recipe I found in my Betty Crocker cookbook. When I was done I had made 38 pancakes, I than flash freeze them and put in freezer bags. My husband usually takes 3 in a container for breakfast at work. When I worked up the cost of ingredients, it came up to about 12 cents per pancake, with syrup it works to about 46 cents for his breakfast. You can't go to MacDonald cheaper than that, he said 3 plain pancakes at MacDonalds is about $1.99 with tax that about $2.10, thats a saving of almost ten dollars a week (6 day workweek) or $40 a month. His friends always make fun of him for taking his breakfast and lunch to work, they always buy their breakfast and lunch each day, but as I told him we are having the last laugh. I also have enough blueberries left to make about 24 muffins. I also make french toast and breakfast burritos for his lunches, it cost so much less to make it myself than for him to go buy it each day. (02/19/2005)

By Becky

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

There is a yahoo group called "Frozen Assets" based on the book by the same name by Deborah Taylor-Hough. The list is all about preparing meals that freeze well. The goal for most people is nutritious and frugal meals. Check it out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/frozen-assets/ (06/21/2005)

By coolchinchilla

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I don't know about you, but I love tuna salad and could eat it for almost every meal. Either as a sandwich or served on a lettuce leaf with a few whole wheat crackers. I make up a big bowl of it at a time & keep in the fridge. I made a big bowl of it when my parents came for a visit, not wanting to spend all of our time in the kitchen. Can serve with rolls, if preferred or in pita bread. (same with turkey salad, chicken salad, or ham salad).

Lots of dishes can be prepared and frozen. Some things don't do well frozen. Best of lucky with your fibromyalgia. (06/21/2005)

By badwater

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I hope you can use this tip. When I bake cakes I make different kinds and cut them in slices and wrap real good with clear wrap and foil. When I want something sweet just go to the freezer and get it. It taste just as if I made it. (06/23/2005)

By Lynn Fain

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

To help you keep track of your meals, it might pay to invest in an upright freezer and use each shelf for a different item - lamb products on one shelf, seafood on another, etc. For extra organization, I list all the items I have (e.g. pork chops, prawns, etc) and keep the list stuck on the outside of the freezer. Every time I add an item, I make a mark, (e.g. Mince - I I I) every time I remove an item, I cross the mark off. Then you know at a glance what's in the freezer, and where to find it. (06/26/2005)

By Cathy

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Hi Fancy, fellow fibro here, loved the postings. Have had your same thoughts lately, have been fixing items to freeze for times I can't cook. Found my old little pizza recipe the other day. They freeze great, easy to make too: 1lb of sausage, 1 box Velveeta cheese, rye bread slices (the little ones!), 1 tbl. spoon Worcestershire, 1 tsp oregano, garlic salt to taste. Brown and drain sausage, cube cheese and melt in sausage, mix in other ingredients, spread on rye slices, freeze 4 or 5 in a zip lock bag and they're ready to throw in the oven any time, bake at 375 about 10 min or till cheese bubbly. Makes an entire loaf of the rye bread. (06/27/2005)

By sharon

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I know you wanted freezer recipes, but I was thinking about how I try to have 'ready' to eat foods around my house for my family on the go. One thing I like to do is buy the ready made salad mixes. I am very cheap, but found that it comes in handy to add to any meal or just eat by itself, throw on some dressing, cheese, crumble crackers etc. and its ready. You can also add any cooked chicken you have, or add ground beef and nacho chips for a taco salad. This is how I get myself to eat better more often too! I also love making stuffed potatoes. I have started making more than we need and wrapping them for fridge, they reheat in microwave very nicely and can also be added to a meal or eaten by itself. Hope this helps. (06/28/2005)

By Lisa

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Here's an awesome starter and recipes follow...just watch serving size!

BIG-BATCH BEEF SAUCE

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onions, celery and garlic until meet is no longer pink and vegetables are tender ; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cool. Transfer to freezer bags or containers, about 2 cups in each. May be frozen for up to 3 months.

YIELD: about 15 cups total

SPEEDY SPAGHETTI

In a saucepan, combine the beef sauce, tomato sauce, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve over spaghetti.

YIELD: 2-3 Servings

TIME-SAVING TACOS

In a saucepan, combine beef sauce, taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture into each taco shell or tortilla. Serve with toppings of your choice.

YIELD: 3-4 Servings

OVEN-READY LASAGNA

In a saucepan, combine beef sauce, tomato paste and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Combine cottage cheese and egg; mix well. Spoon a third of the meat sauce into a greased 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish. Layer with three noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture and a third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat sauce and mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

YIELD: 9-12 Servings

WEEKDAY CHILI

In a saucepan, combine the beef sauce, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until heated through. Garnish servings with cheese.

YIELD: 2-3 servings
(08/29/2005)

By Brandy

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I am also disabled and suffer from low energy problems. I live on a truly miniscule budget, as well. One of the tricks I have used for years is cooking as much as I possibly can every time I turn on the oven. I may have a beef roast, chicken, and oven baked pork chops all going at the same time on the same energy. It really saves on the electric bill. In our area it seems that one week of any month, the sales on meat are all better than the other weeks. I buy as much as I can and once I bring it home, I try to get as much into the freezer as I can--preferrably precooked but always cut into individual serving packets. That way if my son needs to eat while I am resting or if it is one of my "bad days" he can help himself without getting way too enthusiastic for the budget. If we are eating together or if we have guests I just pull out as many servings as needed.

I make spaghetti sauce by the gallon including hamburger, Italian sausage and mushrooms if at all possible, then freeze it in meal size portions, using the same basic mixture in pizza, spaghetti, lasagna and other pasta dishes--varying the pasta and the other main ingredients. I make lasagna, meat loaves and other main or side dishes in large pans, then freeze them in smaller portions. On a whole while I do prepare and freeze many main dishes and sides, I also really like the convenience and flexibility of being able to pull out cooked meat or sauce and add whatever is available or on sale to create a full meal. (05/05/2006)

By Jeanne

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I live alone and love to cook, but prefer to cook in large quantities. The freezer allows me to do this with all sorts of stuff, especially soups, stews, chili, etc. This also works well with pot roasts cooked with veggies. One thing I've found is that these items taste better after a day or two in the fridge, so I wait a few days to bag them up and freeze them. Also I love to catch a good special on whole sirloin tips. I use my electric knife to cut them as needed, usually one third for a roast, one third for beef stew and a third for chili and / or burgers... just whatever sounds good at the time. (05/06/2006)

By Alph

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
lasagna
Freezer Meal Ideas
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
A cooked whole lobster.
Freezing Lobster
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 12:07:52 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.