Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Does anyone know what recipes and/or foods can be frozen?

By Sharon from Newark, CA

You can freeze just about any cooked meal! I cook up ahead things like lasagna, soup, casseroles, pasta and pasta sauces (freeze the sauce and pasta separately) and place all in individual portion freezer containers.

I also freeze single serving package raw meats.

All kinds of raw fruits and veggies can be frozen. Just Google 'freezing fruits'/'freezing vegetables' and you'll find all sorts of information on which can and can not be frozen and how to prepare the ones that do need preparation for freezing.

I chop things like onions, bell peppers, etc and place them in their own containers for future recipes to cook.

Fresh herbs freeze well for future cooking too.

Bread, bagels, biscuits, etc can also be frozen. Just be sure they are tightly wrapped with plastic wrap and, for extra insurance, foil too.

I am certain others here at ThriftyFun will pipe in with more information for you. ;-)

Most foods can be frozen, even whole ears of corn! If you intend to cook the veggies, they can be frozen. Most veggies will become limp so they do not do well for like pizza toppings etc.

June 25, 2010 Flag

I went to a Homemade Gourmet party (a home business that sells spice packets and mixes) recently where we used their spice packets to make "four meals in four minutes". They were simple recipes where we put meat, maybe a can of tomatoes, spices, and the contents of a Homemade Gourmet spice packet into a Ziploc bag to take home and freeze. Then all I had to do to make the meals was put it in the crockpot.

Where can I get a bunch of quick "dump" type recipes to make from scratch to fill my freezer? I do like to cook, but with two children under 5, there are a lot of nights where using my freezer is great. I do "double and freeze" meals to fill my freezer sometimes, but these "dump" type recipes were so simple. The Homemade Gourmet products are pretty expensive and too salty, so I would like recipes to make my own and directions to use them to freeze simple meals. I've looked and looked for a website that will help pull this together for me, with no luck. Does anyone have a great link, or any other ideas?

Betsy from AL

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Make Your Own Spice Mixes:

Creole Seasoning

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Italian Seasoning

• 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon sage

Seafood Seasoning

• 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoons red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground mace (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamon (optional)

Poultry Seasoning

• 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Chili Powder

• 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons oregano
  • 1 teaspoon red or cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Casserole Sauce Mix

• 2 cups nonfat dry milk
  • 3/4 cups cornstarch
  • 1/4 cups instant chicken bouillon
  • 2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed (optional)
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients; mix well. Store in airtight

Makes 3 cups; enough to reconstitute sauce
equal to 9 cans of condensed soup.

To use, combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 cup water.
Cook and stir until thickened. If you like, add
mushrooms, celery, or bits of chicken to resemble the
soup you usually use.

One batch of sauce mix contains:
.2 grams fat, 95 calories and 710 milligrams of sodium.

This recipe is suitable for gluten-free diets.

Dry Ranch Dressing Mix

• 1/2 cup dry buttermilk powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in the container of a food processor or blender
and process on high speed until well blended and powdery smooth. To use
mix: Combine 1 tablespoon dry mix with 1 cup milk and 1 cup mayonnaise. Mix
well. Makes 2 cups salad dressing.

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I hate to answer my own question, but I got frustrated not finding what I was looking for.
This site has lots of "dump recipes", things you can just dump into a Ziploc bag and freeze, to fill your freezer quickly. Just like what I did at Homemade Gourmet without the high $$! I searched on the term "dump recipes" and found this site and some others. Hope this helps. /

By Betsy

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Check out
There is possibly one in your area and they have many take home items and once a month they have a sale for "freezer food". (12/30/2006)

By Sarah

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

I like to go ahead and put my BBQ sauce or whatever sauce I am going to use (Teriyaki, Mesquite, etc.) and freeze the chicken or pork chops that way. I like to make up meatballs and freeze them individually on a cookie sheet (flash freeze). Then I put them in a large Ziploc bag, this way I can pull out what I need.

I like to use the crockpot when I can. I like to take chicken breasts (however many you need, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of cheddar cheese soup (these can be the regular cans or the large ones), depending on how many pieces of chicken. I put this in the crockpot and do my work for the day. This makes a gravy and it is very good.

By Angielikes2cook

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

The Homemade Gourmet spices come in bulk sizes with recipe cards and cost less than 10 cents a serving! If it's too salty, simply use "no salt added" canned goods. That works for me. You can always buy "packaged" seasonings at the grocery store for about $1 a packet and do the "dump method", but my family loves the Homemade Gourmet recipes and the cookbooks help me with easy meal planning that saves me lots of $$$. Super Suppers is way too expensive, but a good alternative to eating out. (07/07/2007)

By Gina

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes-Homemade Gourmet

I also really like the Homemade Gourmet idea of just dumping it. I have bought some of their product and really like them. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Buy the mix and use only half. I have found that my family really does not need as much seasoning as they use. We especially love the Grandmother's Sunday roast.

2. Host a party. Even if you don't sell very much you and your family get to try lots of their items and you can decide what you really like. I have found this is especially a good idea. Often at the party I find items I really like or items I really don't like.

3. Buy the mix once and see if you can come up with an equivalent. For example we really like the garlic basil so here is my recipe to make it at home.

• 1/2 c dry onion
  • 1 bottle dry basil (buy a nice quality)
  • 4 TBSP garlic powder
  • 2 TBSP parsley
  • 1 TBSP dry mustard
  • sugar to taste (I like about 1 TBSP)

To make a smoosh bag, empty 1 can diced tomatoes, meat of choice, and 2 to 4 TBSP of Garlic Basil seasoning. Freeze. When ready to cook, place in crock pot for the afternoon.

I hope that helps.

By Heather

Freezer Meals - Tips and Recipes

Buy the Taste of Home magazine. No fuss freezer meals in Walmart or another grocery store. (10/11/2008)

By Alicia

December 20, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Freezer Meal Ideas
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
A cooked whole lobster.
Freezing Lobster