My First Recipe: Fried Chicken For The Minister

My First Recipe: Mother was away and Dad and I invited our Presbyterian minister to dinner. (What were we thinking?) I had helped Mother in the kitchen, but had never prepared dinner on my own. I used one of her cookbooks and fried chicken and mashed the potatoes. I did not use a cookbook when I cooked the fresh lima beans (big mistake). Everything came out fine except the beans. I had boiled them for a reasonable length of time (with the pot lid off!), but when I served them, I found they were hard as rocks--and about as tasty. The two men smiled and complimented me, but I remember they sort of pushed around the beans. I was about 15 and mortified! (Had a crush on the good-looking minister, which added to my chagrin!) Later found out the beans take quite a while to cook--and do put the top on. I'm now 76 and recall this as yesterday.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

That's a very sweet story! I cooked fried chicken for about 15 or so minutes for my husband as a new bride. WELL ... I had seen others do it! It looked done and it smelled done. OH MY was it horrible -NOT DONE is an over statement! It's a wonder any of us survive!!

What a lovely memory! I admire you both for your bravery at such a young age, and for being able to fry edible chicken! I'm 68 and I still can't cook it without frying it to death, for fear it isn't done. Have a good day and God bless you.

Thank you for sharing and giving me a smile today. :)

Good story, Mom.

Proud of you because you didn't give up at the age of 15. I was 18 when I first started cooking. I cooked fish curry and I thought it was like cooking any curry, but I cooked it for a long time and the fish went mush. I give credit to someone that tries to do it.

Fried Chicken on a Plate
Fried Chicken Tips And Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Recipes for KidsFebruary 6, 2007
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Fried Chicken
Canning Fried Chicken
Fried chicken in paper bucket against a white background
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume