Fried Chicken Tips And Recipes

Category Chicken
Making your own fried chicken at home is not as hard as you may believe. This page contains chicken tips and recipes.

If you don't have any cooking oil and want to fry chicken, find a cast iron skillet and fry the chicken in its own juices. It will be just as finger lickin' good as KFC, only healthier. What I do is turn the stove-top up to about 6 or 7 and lay the chicken pieces in the pan. When they start cooking, you have to turn, turn, and re-turn all of them. The skin is crispy and the chicken is great.

By bentcrazy39 from Springfield OH.

My First Recipe: Mother was away and Dad and I invited our Presbyterian minister to dinner. (What were we thinking?) I had helped Mother in the kitchen, but had never prepared dinner on my own. I used one of her cookbooks and fried chicken and mashed the potatoes. I did not use a cookbook when I cooked the fresh lima beans (big mistake). Everything came out fine except the beans. I had boiled them for a reasonable length of time (with the pot lid off!), but when I served them, I found they were hard as rocks--and about as tasty.

The two men smiled and complimented me, but I remember they sort of pushed around the beans. I was about 15 and mortified! (Had a crush on the good-looking minister, which added to my chagrin!) Later found out the beans take quite a while to cook--and do put the top on. I'm now 76 and recall this as yesterday.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

Have you ever bought take-out fried chicken and discovered that it was dry? I encounter this occasionally especially with grocery fried chicken. The upside, is that after a certain hour, they sell it at a reduced price.

To perk it up, put it in a microwave safe container, sprinkle a little whole milk on it, cover, shake, and zap. The milk will soften the skin and the moisture will revitalize the chicken.

Another trick is to make a nice wine sauce (I use Marsala wine, chicken boullion, garlic, butter and cream) and simmer the chicken gently in the sauce for a few minutes.

You can add blanched onions, cooked vegetables, serve over rice or mashed potatoes, and it's like a homemade meal : )

By U*u*U from

Often, grocery stores will drastically lower the price of deli fried chicken towards closing time (most times you have to ask). They are usually a little dry by then. If you make a nice sauce, (i.e. Marsala, tomato, lemon etc.) and simmer the pieces in the sauce for a few minutes, they perk right up and make a delicious dinner. You can cut the breasts into smaller pieces for more absorption. I usually serve mine with pasta or rice and toss in some lightly sauteed onions and veggies.

By Doggy

This recipe was sent to me by a friend and is very tasty. It's a dish I'd make again and to also serve when having guests.

This recipe is a clone of KFC, but tastes like the real thing. A little work but less expensive than KFC chicken.

This is a guide about copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken. There are lots of recipes available that try to replicate the, secret herbs and spices, flavor of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Wash off the chicken pieces, shaking off the water but not drying thoroughly and place in a large bowl. Cover the pieces heavily with all 4 seasonings.

With your hands, and with the chicken still in the bowl, rub the seasonings into the pieces.

Fried breaded, spiced chicken is delicious with many different side dishes.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am desperately needing the help of the Thrifty Fun community. I have been trying to southern-fry chicken for a very long time, but have failed miserably. My two assets are firstly, the batter sticks to the chicken without a problem and secondly, the flavor is wonderful.

The problem is that it tends to burn before the internal temperature reaches the 180 degrees. I use a thermometer and have tried frying at 350 degrees while turning the chicken often. After those pieces burned, I tried as some have suggested to fry at 300 degrees, while turning often. Of course the last option is a little better than the first, but it still isn't anything to brag about. The area that touches the skillet gets almost black, while the crust gets very, very dark brown.

I have used several types of skillets, including cast iron, stainless steel, and nonstick. I have also used an electric deep fryer to which I keep the oil at a steady 350F. It also is too dark. I do long for some seasoned cook to give me a foolproof, time-proven formula for perfect southern-fried chicken. I do believe I am messing up in the technique because the flavor is wonderful. Thanks again for all input! You're a wonderful group.

By Marla from MO

Answers

I don't know if the way that I have always done it would be considered Southern fried, however, I find it a lot easier than standing by a stove, watching it. It is called oven-fried chicken and I found the recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I no longer have the book or the recipe, as I haven't fixed chicken other than in a slow cooker for more than 20 years.

No matter what I do, I just can not make crispy fried chicken. It is very good, but it is not crispy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

nunley10

By carla from Huntington, WV

Answers

You make sure you season and flour the chicken really well and deep fry it until it is a deep brown color. it is also important to let it drain on a paper towel after you take it out of the grease.also search for your question, good luck.

I've always wanted to fry chicken with flour but it always comes out either burnt or undercooked. Any tips on how to do it just right?

Rosemarie from Lynn, Mass.

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Use Crisco Shortning. Have it about 1/2 inch deep in the frying pan. Place floured chicken in the hot grease 350-360 degrees.

Fry chicken covered with a lid for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and turn chicken over and fry uncovered about 20 minutes browning the other side of the chicken.

I agree. Don't be impatient and turn it too often, once is enough.
And keep the heat even. My Grandmother would never cook chicken in anything but a cast iron skillet! Said it did the cooking for her.

By Blue Jean (Guest Post)

My husband taught me his mother's recipe for Oven Fried Chicken. I don't have to babysit the pan on the stove!

Put about 1/4" of cooking oil in a roasting pan in a preheated 350 oven. While it heating up, coat chicken parts in your flour and spices by shaking in a zip bag. Place chicken in a single layer in the heated pan, then back into the oven for 30 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 20 minutes or so, depending on how brown and crispy you like your chicken. Drain on paper towel lined plates. Enjoy!

By Judy J. (Guest Post)

Go to http://www.foodnetwork.com and search for Paula Deen's recipe for fried chicken. It's a no-fail deal.

A tip I JUST learned! Dark meat is fattier/juicier than white meat, so in order to keep the white meat pieces from coming out drier, cook them slightly less long than the dark ( if deep frying).

How do you cook chicken to taste like Kentucky Fried?

By lyle

Please tell me how to keep fried chicken crisp. When I take fried chicken to work for lunch in my tupperware bowl and lid it gets real soft. I hate soft fried chicken. Any suggestions?

Onesummer from GA

Answers

Don't put the lid on your tupperware container! Just place the container in a vegetable bag (with the tiny holes), or cover loosely with wax paper. It's the moisture in the chicken that makes it soggy when you enclose it with the lid.
Ruth C.

By angela== Tupperware Lady (Guest Post)

From my point of view The Tupperware is working too well.And I can use your story in my business!!lol
Leave the lid off or use a fold over kind of plastice baggy, these have enough ventilation for keeping the crispies on your chicken yummy

just wrap your chicken in a paper towel and put it in your lunch bag or box. It won't hold in the moisture and get soggy.

TC in MO

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)

I would wrap the fried chicken in tinfoil, or even just wrap it loosely in paper towel and then place in a paper bag.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

make sure the chicken is completely cold before you put the lid on. if it is still a problem, wrap the pieces in paper towels

By Jennifer (Guest Post)

When I take leftover fried chicken I don't put it in the frig after it's been cooked. I place it on a plate on the stove, and in the morning I wrap it in aluminum foil.
Jennifer, GA

By Benefeenie (Guest Post)

Cool the chicken completely. Store it in a paper towel inside of a paper bag for lunch. The plastic cover is making the chicken too moist.

My mom made the BEST fried chicken in the world and this is very similar to how she did it. Only difference being the sesame seed.

• 1/4 lb. butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
  • paprika, to taste
  • 1 frying chicken, cut up

Directions:

Melt butter in oven-safe frying pan. Combine egg and milk. Mix dry ingredients in a separate pan. Dip chicken into milk mixture, then into flour. Place in the frying pan with the butter, and bake at 400 degrees F for 1/2 hour, then turn and bake 1/2 hour more. Does not need to be covered.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I prefer fresh farm-grown chicken about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs., cleaned and sectioned.

Place chicken in a large mixing bowl and cover with top grade buttermilk. Let soak several hours to overnight. Carefully drain before dipping in flour that has been seasoned with favorite spices, salt, and pepper. Re-dip in batter, then back into flour. Place in prepared skillet.

A heavy skillet is the best to use for frying chicken. I fry my chicken at 350-360 degrees F. We like our chicken more done than some people, so I will lower temperature when sufficiently browned and cook about 30 minutes all together.

By Robin

Wanna eat like you're a member of the Jenkins family from Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins? Well, here is your chance! Check out this simple and easy on the pocket fried chicken recipe you can make for yourself or share at your very own family reunion!

Own the laugh-out-loud comedy hit starring Martin Lawrence: Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins on DVD June 17th and check out the official website here:

Ingredients

• 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

Directions

Heat the shortening in a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a brown paper lunch bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Shake two chicken pieces in the bag to coat, and place them in the skillet. Repeat until all of the chicken is coated and in the skillet. Fry the chicken over medium-high heat until all of the pieces have been browned on both sides. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Remove the lid, and increase heat to medium-high. Continue frying until chicken pieces are a deep golden brown, and the juices run clear.

By Laurie from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Jenkins Family Fried Chicken

Going to try this,
Sounds good (06/14/2008)

By Martha

Ingredients

• 1 Tbsp. margarine
  • 2/3 cup Bisquick
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 frying chicken, cut up

Directions

Melt margarine in baking dish. Mix Bisquick, paprika, salt, and pepper. Roll pieces of chicken in this mixture. Place in baking dish skin-side down. Turn once for the last 20 minutes. Bake 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cover the pan with foil to start.

Optional Directions

You may also bake chicken in the oven by melting margarine in baking pan. Roll chicken in pieces of potato flakes and place in the pan. Cover with foil. Bake 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Oven Fried Chicken

In any of the recipes you can substitute oat bran, wheat bran or crushed all-bran cereals as part of or fully replacing the unhealthy white bread crumbs.

Even more thrifty is to use the natural crumbs you'll find on the bottom of your non-sugar cereal bags. Regardless of what you mix together from the cereals, they should be much higher fiber than white bread crumbs unless you have very unhealthy cereals in your cupboards.

If you're die hard on bread crumbs; it's easy to make your own out of whole grain, high fiber breads. Just dry out in oven on super low setting and crush in a bag until you have the desired crumbs.

You don't have to change anything else in the recipes....same seasonings, etc. If you're going for even healthier foods; you can substitute rice bran oil for any of the "fry" oils. It's pretty high nutrition and tolerates very high temps. You won't notice any difference in taste except that the rice oil tastes much lighter to me than canola or corn oils.

You'll get an even crunchier oven fry out of it plus better nutrition! (08/26/2008)

By Healthy Eater

Mix all the ingredients with the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In pie plate, combine crumbs, thyme, oregano, paprika and salt. Pour egg whites into second pie plate.

I am looking for recipes for southern style fried chicken. Any recipes would be appreciated.

Blend ingredients with fork until well mixed. Coat chicken with the mix and place the pieces of chicken on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Load More