Fried Chicken Tips And Recipes

Category Chicken
Making your own fried chicken at home is not as hard as you may believe. This page contains chicken tips and recipes.

If you don't have any cooking oil and want to fry chicken, find a cast iron skillet and fry the chicken in its own juices. It will be just as finger lickin' good as KFC, only healthier. What I do is turn the stove-top up to about 6 or 7 and lay the chicken pieces in the pan. When they start cooking, you have to turn, turn, and re-turn all of them. The skin is crispy and the chicken is great.

By bentcrazy39 from Springfield OH.

My First Recipe: Mother was away and Dad and I invited our Presbyterian minister to dinner. (What were we thinking?) I had helped Mother in the kitchen, but had never prepared dinner on my own. I used one of her cookbooks and fried chicken and mashed the potatoes. I did not use a cookbook when I cooked the fresh lima beans (big mistake). Everything came out fine except the beans. I had boiled them for a reasonable length of time (with the pot lid off!), but when I served them, I found they were hard as rocks--and about as tasty.

The two men smiled and complimented me, but I remember they sort of pushed around the beans. I was about 15 and mortified! (Had a crush on the good-looking minister, which added to my chagrin!) Later found out the beans take quite a while to cook--and do put the top on. I'm now 76 and recall this as yesterday.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

Have you ever bought take-out fried chicken and discovered that it was dry? I encounter this occasionally especially with grocery fried chicken. The upside, is that after a certain hour, they sell it at a reduced price.

To perk it up, put it in a microwave safe container, sprinkle a little whole milk on it, cover, shake, and zap. The milk will soften the skin and the moisture will revitalize the chicken.

Another trick is to make a nice wine sauce (I use Marsala wine, chicken boullion, garlic, butter and cream) and simmer the chicken gently in the sauce for a few minutes.

You can add blanched onions, cooked vegetables, serve over rice or mashed potatoes, and it's like a homemade meal : )

By U*u*U from

Often, grocery stores will drastically lower the price of deli fried chicken towards closing time (most times you have to ask). They are usually a little dry by then.

This recipe was sent to me by a friend and is very tasty. It's a dish I'd make again and to also serve when having guests.

This recipe is a clone of KFC, but tastes like the real thing. A little work but less expensive than KFC chicken.

Wash off the chicken pieces, shaking off the water but not drying thoroughly and place in a large bowl. Cover the pieces heavily with all 4 seasonings.

With your hands, and with the chicken still in the bowl, rub the seasonings into the pieces.

Fried breaded, spiced chicken is delicious with many different side dishes.

plate of chicken

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am desperately needing the help of the Thrifty Fun community. I have been trying to southern-fry chicken for a very long time, but have failed miserably. My two assets are firstly, the batter sticks to the chicken without a problem and secondly, the flavor is wonderful.

The problem is that it tends to burn before the internal temperature reaches the 180 degrees. I use a thermometer and have tried frying at 350 degrees while turning the chicken often. After those pieces burned, I tried as some have suggested to fry at 300 degrees, while turning often. Of course the last option is a little better than the first, but it still isn't anything to brag about. The area that touches the skillet gets almost black, while the crust gets very, very dark brown.

I have used several types of skillets, including cast iron, stainless steel, and nonstick. I have also used an electric deep fryer to which I keep the oil at a steady 350F. It also is too dark. I do long for some seasoned cook to give me a foolproof, time-proven formula for perfect southern-fried chicken. I do believe I am messing up in the technique because the flavor is wonderful. Thanks again for all input! You're a wonderful group.

By Marla from MO

Answers

I don't know if the way that I have always done it would be considered Southern fried, however, I find it a lot easier than standing by a stove, watching it. It is called oven-fried chicken and I found the recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I no longer have the book or the recipe, as I haven't fixed chicken other than in a slow cooker for more than 20 years.

No matter what I do, I just can not make crispy fried chicken. It is very good, but it is not crispy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

nunley10

By carla from Huntington, WV

Answers

You make sure you season and flour the chicken really well and deep fry it until it is a deep brown color. it is also important to let it drain on a paper towel after you take it out of the grease.also search for your question, good luck.

I've always wanted to fry chicken with flour but it always comes out either burnt or undercooked. Any tips on how to do it just right?

Rosemarie from Lynn, Mass.

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Use Crisco Shortning. Have it about 1/2 inch deep in the frying pan. Place floured chicken in the hot grease 350-360 degrees.

Fry chicken covered with a lid for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and turn chicken over and fry uncovered about 20 minutes browning the other side of the chicken.

I agree. Don't be impatient and turn it too often, once is enough.
And keep the heat even. My Grandmother would never cook chicken in anything but a cast iron skillet! Said it did the cooking for her.

How do you cook chicken to taste like Kentucky Fried?

By lyle

Please tell me how to keep fried chicken crisp. When I take fried chicken to work for lunch in my tupperware bowl and lid it gets real soft. I hate soft fried chicken. Any suggestions?

Onesummer from GA

Answers

Don't put the lid on your tupperware container! Just place the container in a vegetable bag (with the tiny holes), or cover loosely with wax paper. It's the moisture in the chicken that makes it soggy when you enclose it with the lid.
Ruth C.

By angela== Tupperware Lady (Guest Post)

From my point of view The Tupperware is working too well.And I can use your story in my business!!lol
Leave the lid off or use a fold over kind of plastice baggy, these have enough ventilation for keeping the crispies on your chicken yummy

just wrap your chicken in a paper towel and put it in your lunch bag or box. It won't hold in the moisture and get soggy.

TC in MO

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)

I would wrap the fried chicken in tinfoil, or even just wrap it loosely in paper towel and then place in a paper bag.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

make sure the chicken is completely cold before you put the lid on. if it is still a problem, wrap the pieces in paper towels

By Jennifer (Guest Post)

When I take leftover fried chicken I don't put it in the frig after it's been cooked. I place it on a plate on the stove, and in the morning I wrap it in aluminum foil.
Jennifer, GA

This is a page about copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken. There are lots of recipes available that try to replicate the, secret herbs and spices, flavor of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Fried chicken in paper bucket against a white background

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My mom made the BEST fried chicken in the world and this is very similar to how she did it. Only difference being the sesame seed.

• 1/4 lb. butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
  • paprika, to taste
  • 1 frying chicken, cut up

Directions:

Melt butter in oven-safe frying pan. Combine egg and milk. Mix dry ingredients in a separate pan. Dip chicken into milk mixture, then into flour. Place in the frying pan with the butter, and bake at 400 degrees F for 1/2 hour, then turn and bake 1/2 hour more. Does not need to be covered.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I prefer fresh farm-grown chicken about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs., cleaned and sectioned.

Place chicken in a large mixing bowl and cover with top grade buttermilk. Let soak several hours to overnight. Carefully drain before dipping in flour that has been seasoned with favorite spices, salt, and pepper. Re-dip in batter, then back into flour. Place in prepared skillet.

A heavy skillet is the best to use for frying chicken. I fry my chicken at 350-360 degrees F. We like our chicken more done than some people, so I will lower temperature when sufficiently browned and cook about 30 minutes all together.

By Robin

Wanna eat like you're a member of the Jenkins family from Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins? Well, here is your chance!

Load More

Food and Recipes Recipes Meats ChickenOctober 2, 2012
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Fried-Chicken-Tips-And-Recipes.html