Making Crispy Fried Chicken

No matter what I do, I just can not make crispy fried chicken. It is very good, but it is not crispy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

nunley10

By nunley10 from Huntington, WV

You make sure you season and flour the chicken really well and deep fry it until it is a deep brown color. it is also important to let it drain on a paper towel after you take it out of the grease.also search for your question, good luck.

This is the way I was taught to fry chicken. Prepare chicken by pattiing each piece dry with a paper towel then sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each piece. I place flour in a container with a tight lid and shake the chicken pieces in the flour to coat them. Use Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening. In an electric frying pan, preheat Crisco 350 to 360 degrees. Have it about 1/2 inch deep in the pan. Place battered chicken in hot Crisco. Cook for 30 minutes covered with tight lid. Remove cover. Turn pieces over and cook 20 to 30 minutes without lid, browning it on the other side. Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the chicken. Do not crowd chicken in the pan. Place on paper towels to drain. Mine comes out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.

For those with Celiac disease (allergic to wheat) you can use rice flour to batter the chicken and it's good.

Don't cover the pan you are frying the chicken in. I fry mine in a cast iron skillet.

I think the secret to making really good, crispy fried chicken is in the temperature of the oil. I pour 2-3 inches of oil in a dutch oven and heat it over medium high heat. Pull a small piece of breading off of the chicken and if it "sizzles" when it hits the oil, then it is ready for the chicken to be added. Cook, uncovered, until golden brown ( add a few extra minutes for dark meat, as it takes a little longer to cook). Drain on paper towels. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will continue to try.

Martha Stewart had a show recently where she replayed an old segment on great fried chicken. Take cut up chicken and put in bowl of iced water for at least 8 hours in fridge; up to 24 hours. Drain on rack.

In another bowl put buttermilk, probably about a pint or more. Season it with salt, pepper, and even Tabasco. Put in chicken and in fridge for 8-24 hours. Drain on rack.

She used a cast iron pan, fairly deep. Dredge in seasoned flour, put on rack as you work on the pieces. Fry in Crisco (she said) at 350 I think it was, though might have been 375, for total of 18 minutes.

Fry, turn, fry, turn. Each side was turned twice I believe. Check her website to be sure. She said it was great. Looked great, and I am going to try it though I never use shortening, this time I will.

I fry mine in an electric skillet in hot oil with a large scoop of butter in it.

I coat my chicken with a mixture of flour, instant tater buds, paprika, sage, pepper, ms dash and essence of Emeril. Mix all of the above in a zip lock bag, and shake chicken. Place chicken in the hot oil mixture and cover with the lid. Let fry until it starts to brown on high heat. Brown both sides then turn the heat down low an let the steam finish cooking the inside of the chicken. Drain on paper towels.

Along with all the seasoning, coating, whatever you do to make the perfect fried chicken, add 1/2 cup of cornstarch or more, to each cup of flour, as it gives a very crispy finish. The flavor isn't changed, but the crispy texture is there. Of course the oil, or shortening does need to be at a good temp. As too hot burns the outside, without cooking the inside, and not hot enough lets too much grease soak into the coating. Hope this helps

Thanks guys, a lot of great advice here. I will try them all. Thanks again, nunley10

Dip chicken pieces in flour. Next dip them in buttermillk, then in flour, cornflake, seasonings mixture and deep fry until golden brown.