How do I make a head board for my bed? - Categories:

FurnitureHome Improvement

How do I make a head board for my bed?

I do not have a head board for my bed. Does anyone have ideas on how to make one? I was thinking of getting pressboard and covering it with some foam them material?

Thank you in advance!

ML from Alberta

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Use 3/4" plywood instead. Pressboard will fall apart.

Weseye

I have seen some headboards made out of old doors, they were beautiful....

If you go with plywood, you could cover it with neat material, and maybe criss cross ribbons around it.

You could also decopauge the wood.

Another idea is to get a nice looking used door, turn it horizontally and attach it to the wall.

http://www.hgtv.com has a whole group of simple plans for headboards that you make yourself.....one I used was a screendoor with silk flowers "planted" behind it like being in the garden.....is really cute and using a recycled screen door kept it "frugal"

Yeah, I wouldn't touch pressboard for that. My dad built one years ago out of cedar that was really nice, but if I were building one I'd make it out of solid oak, walnut, etc... some kind of hardwood. Put it together with wooden pegs and glue. You can pass it down to your grandchildren, and they can pass it down to theirs. I've built such stuff out of plywood (and yes, even pressboard) but I don't like doing that. If I'm going to build something, I want it built to last for several generations.

Put some shelves in it, and maybe a couple of drawers. Build something you'll be proud of.

You can buy cabinet grade plywood that stains really nice. Pencil a design on the wood and use a router to follow the design. Make sure that you leave space at the bottom in case there is an electrical outlet at the head of the bed. Then add pieces of extra wood at the leg area, so as the headboard is not right up against the bed, drill holes where the frame will attach and bolt it all together.

Made a wonderful headboard with 3/4" plywood. Pre-drilled 8 holes (where i wished to pull-through string for buttons to give a 'tailored' look). Covered in foam padding, cotton batting then finally decorator material. Simply stapled in that order to the back of the 3/4". Placed buttons over pre-drilled hole area, pulled thru with needle and string and tied on back. Hubby hung on wall with studs and heavy duty mirror hanger. Looks great. Keeps my head warmer at night (bed against outside wall) and comfy to prop against to read!!

They also have some Ideas on DIYNET.com. Maybe even getting on old headboard and giving it a slip cover.

For my first apartment I used the old wrought iron gate to the garden (cleaned of course) as my headboard inside. The landlady was going to toss it and I thought, hey that would be interesting. I got a ton of compliments. You can leave them in their original shape to give it a antiqued feel, or paint them any shade to like to go with the decor. When I got bored with it I bought wire and crystal beads and strung the beads on the wire and twisted it around the bars and it really made it pop. Good luck.

I am making my own head board and think I have the plan. I purchased a pattern for a hanging headboard and purchased the recommended foam padding, 2-3" thick, cut to size. Then the fabric. I am using the basic rectangle shape of the pattern, then I will adhere this with glue to a piece of plywood cut to size, plus about 6" in addition on either end. I will the attached the plywood to two wood decorative columns with nails. I will then drill holes in the columns at the base to attach to the columns. You can purchase long bolts and nuts at any hardware store to attach the bedframe and colums together. To protect the wall from sharp edges of the plywood I think I will purchase a complimentary padded fabric to the back side of the board with staples from a staple gun.

Good luck!

ML,

I watched an episode of Living with Martha and she took a piece of plywood and a couple of pieces of stock lumber and made a headboard. She came up with a basic design, cut out the shape in the plywood, added the stock lumber for the legs, cut out the foam padding and stapled it in place around the edges. I am sure you could probably use a spray on adhesive. She then used upholstry cloth and stapled it in the back. She covered the back with more upholstry cloth and used furniture tacks (the decorative kind) to hold it in place. You could probably use hot glue along with the furniture tacks.

You might be able to query a martha stewart web sited or find a copy of the process in one of her mags in a library.

Good luck

Check out Canadian House and Home. They have great directions for a fabric covered headboard.

i had the same problem and found a super trellis made from bamboo at the hardware shop. i nailed a table runner to the wall and then attached the trellis over that. the two look super and the bamboo can also be used to hang scarves or anything else on. mine is plain for now. the trellis i found in the garden section of the hardware shop. you can also use a picket fence.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureNovember 16, 2004
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Bulletin Board
Making a Bulletin Board
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:09:52 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.