Cleaning a Dry Erase Board

Cleaning a white board can be difficult, especially if the ink has been on it a long time. Properly cleaning the surface will keep your dry erase board looking new and easy to read. This is a guide about cleaning a dry erase board.

For teachers, cleaning a whiteboard of all its remnants can be near impossible, but if you used WD-40, it will look new again!

By Brianna Southworth from Dutch Harbor, AK

I use fingernail polish remover to clean the dry erase board. Works like a charm, and gets all old ink off immediately.

By Rita Horne

I have an old whiteboard with difficult-to-remove markings. I grabbed my bottle of Jergen's hand lotion and applied a little to a rag. The board is now like new!

I check out some of the other email postings. I recently received an easel board from another family member - they had a lot of writing with grease markers on it, and they don't know how long it was on there.

So we, my other half and I, tried rubbing alcohol, then nail polish remover, and then hand sanitizer gel. None of them worked. Then we tried Permatex Fast Orange - hand cleaner. This works great with a little extra scrubbing.

I bought some Lysol wipes for my ladies' Sunday School class because we kept getting sick with colds. Aside from wiping down the table, chairs, and doorknobs, I found the alcohol content made it perfect for cleaning dry eraser marker writing from our dry erase board!

By Vivian P.

Liquid hand sanitizer works well to clean a dry erase board.

By sue from Illinois

My three year old scribbled all over my dry erase board. I was clueless and used plain water to clean it. Big mistake. The water marker smeared and it would not come off. I tried so many things, alcohol, hand sanitizer, acetone, etc. I gave up. Once again my three year old found a water marker. I wanted to pull my hair. I knew my mistake last time had been trying to clean it off with plain water.

This time, I simply dabbed hand sanitizer on the scribbles and as the marker lifted, I cleaned with a paper towel. It worked. I cleaned the whole board and it worked. The problem last time was my cheap board absorbed some of the water and sealed in the color of the water marker.

I always clean a dry erase board with alcohol.

Writing on a white board with a permanent marker is common mistake. The good news is that the permanent marker can be easily removed.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I tried all the other methods listed and none were satisfactory. I put some acetone on the white board and everything from sticky residue to caked-on ink came off immediately without streaking.

I cleaned my whiteboard with a Scotch pad and water and now the markers just sink in and won't erase. This cleaning procedure was demonstrated to me on another board and it worked well. What do I do to fix my board?

Hannah

Answers

By Emma (Guest Post)
Best Answer

To get Sharpie marker off of a whiteboard, color over it with an Expo marker and erase with a whiteboard eraser.

By mooty (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Scotch-brite is certainly safer than solvents such as WD-40, but it IS an abrasive, and it WILL take *something* off the whiteboard surface. Re-waxing your surface is probably a good idea. In the future, I suggest using a cleaning chemical with a low toxicity if it won't come off.

To clean dry erase boards, I usually use a paper towel with a little Windex. If that doesn't work, I use a little bit of nail polish remover then wipe it down one more time with Windex. It does the trick!

Laura Lange

Answers:

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

WD-40 is great for cleaning permanent marker from dry erase boards.

By Lisa T. (10/17/2004)

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

You should avoid using Window cleaners on DRY ERASE surfaces. They will damage the finish, and shorten the board's life span. Many window cleaners have ammonia which is harmful to plexi glass, acrylic, and surfaces with plastic finishes. (11/13/2004)

By Jason

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will clean your dry erase board. (03/09/2005)

By dj

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

I used rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure if it's bad for the surface, but it all came off instantly.
(03/10/2005)

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

I found "Off" the bug spray will polish it clean. Don't know if it damages it or not, but cleans perfect.

(07/07/2005)

By Darcy

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Alcohol will eventually ruin the finish. Spend a couple of dollars on dry erase spray cleaner, found in office supply stores. Some colors are harder to clean off. Go over color with black and clean as you normally would. Black breaks down the color. (07/25/2005)

By CHRISTA

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

How do I remove highlighter from a dry erase board?

I know that if a permanent marker was used on a dry-erase board then all one needs to do is to reactivate the permanent marker with a dry erase marker, then just erase.

However, this does not work for highlighter...anyone with some ideas?
Thanks! (08/02/2005)

By In Trouble

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Discovered a sort of new one...
Clear gel type hand sanitizer! Mostly alcohol. Took care of the stuff even WD-40 could not touch!
(01/17/2007)

By SMS

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

My sub used a baby wipe on my dry erase board and now everything smears. How do I clean it? I have used Mr. Clean, water, and dry erase board cleaner. Nothing works.. (02/21/2007)

By Jan F.

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

http://www.wikihow.com/Erase-Old-Marks-off-a-Dry-Erase-Board

- go to this website for your baby wipe board. It has a few ideas to renew the surface. (04/17/2007)

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

The harsh cleaners you suggest, especially the finger nail polish remover, will ruin your board. A dry erase board is dry erase because of the top protective coat on the board. Removing or damaging that top layer with hard cleaners or abrasive towels will create permanent staining. The mild formulas of the manufacturers, I like Expo, are best.
(01/03/2008)

By Karen J

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Thank you! I accidentally used a sharpie marker on my dry eraser board. I scribbled over it with an expo marker and then when I wiped it off, it ALL came off! Thank you for the suggestion. (06/06/2008)

By JDWC

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Awesome, WD-40 took off the Sharpie pen my kid used on it. Thanks to this board. (09/11/2008)

By Artist

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Believe it or not, Gin works just fine. (12/31/2008)

By Mr. Gin

How do I restore my dry erase board to it's original surface? I can no longer erase any markers easily.

Jeff from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

I generally use rubbing alcohol on mine; and at the preschool where I work, if there is not alcohol handy, I just use the hand gel, which is mostly alcohol anyway.

The magic erasers will work, but you do "Not" want to use them often, as they will abrade the surface and shorten the life of your board. You can purchase special cleaners at the office supply store. (03/03/2009)

By Jill

Cleaning Dry Erase Boards

Coke works to take permanent marker off the dry erase board. It also works to clean a toilet. (03/04/2009)

By dakota

Load More