Reconditioning a Dry Erase Board

Category Office
A damaged dry erase board may sometimes be refinished less expensively than buying a new one. This is a guide about reconditioning a dry erase board.

How do I recondition a dry erase board?

Pran

Answers

I just saw it today in a Parents magazine that Rustoleum makes a paint that is a dry erase formula...the picture showed the paint on a wall in a mud room.

By Tony in Brooklyn (Guest Post)

Has anyone tried spray furniture polish?

I use Goo-Gone on mine. Also, Fantastic with orange oil. The orange seems to do the trick.

By Rebekah (Guest Post)

The crest toothpaste definitely works! I just tried it
out and it whitened the board immediately. Something that
also works is Kaboom.

By (Guest Post)

Plasti-Kleen is also great! They make a formula just for white boards.

yes i have polished my furnitecher

My dry erase board had grease marker on it. I used paint thinner to clean it off. It worked great, but now when I use my dry erase markers on the board, they won't come off with a paper towel like it should. It just smears. Did I ruin my board, can I fix this? How can I make my dry erase board back to normal?

By Michele from Columbus, OH

Answers

Michele honey, pony up the $5 and go to Walmart and get another one. It will save you alot of frustration. :-)

Next time you need to clean a dry erase board, try hairspray and paper towels.

Go to an office supply store or a teaching supply store and look for the adhesive sheets of dry erase media. You should be able to find a sheet that will cut down to the size you need. Good luck.

Is there any way to redo a dry erase board?

By Lori

Answers

Why is no one using this site in 2017?

It doesn't look like anyone has a good answer for this question. If you find the solution, you might want to share it to help future readers.

Is there an inexpensive way to fill in scratches on a white board?

By Wendy Johnson from TX

Answers

You can buy the dry erase surface in rolls or sheets. They are usually self adhesive and can be applied easily. You might try that.

My husband and I are both teachers and would like a homemade solution for restoring dry-erase boards. We find it difficult to remove the dry-erase ink on our boards now and think they need to be re-conditioned.

LadyHammett

Answers:

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Have you tried the spray cleaners specifically designed for cleaning dry erase boards?? They work wonders! (01/10/2005)

By beanygurl

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Usually you can use regular rubbing alcohol. Put it in a spray bottle, and it works just as good as the store bought cleaners. (01/10/2005)

By Derek

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Do you want to clean it or make like new? I saw a hint where a lady suggested covering with plain white contact paper and replace when it gets bad. (01/11/2005)

By Anna

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol. Spray board and wipe with a rag to remove ink. Incidentally, if you accidently use a permanent marker on the dry erase board, simply scribble over it with a dry erase marker and wipe... It disappears easily. (01/13/2005)

By Shan

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Clean it with WD-40, repeat when it starts being difficult again. (02/03/2005)

By Barbie

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

I reconditioned my white board by applying car wax -- just like you would on the car -- a thin coat, let it dry to a film, then wipe off the wax with a soft cloth. It seemed to do the trick! (09/19/2005)

By cmvnj

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

Thank You! Thought I was going to have to buy a new one. I would of never thought to use any of the above suggestions. I now have a Like New Dry Erase Board again, Thanks to Google and all Your Wonderful Ideas. (09/13/2006)

By T.Kelsey

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

A hard rubbing with crest toothpaste can remove stubborn marks and will not damage the surface. (12/06/2006)

By Jim

Reconditioning A Dry Erase Board

I used rubbing alcohol to remove the ghosting and dry erase marker that wouldn't come out. I purchased 32 oz. for under $1 at the local supermarket. I still had a problem with the dry erase marker not coming off so I did a lot of searching to find a way to recondition the board so it would work like new again. I heard someone mention a few coats of scotch guard but I haven't tried this. Instead, I just reconditioned my dry erase board with a couple coats of liquid car wax (Zymol) and it works awesome. (12/13/2006)

By Steve in Fort Lauderdale, Florida