Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off

I cleaned my whiteboard with a Scotch pad and water and now the markers just sink in and won't erase. This cleaning procedure was demonstrated to me on another board and it worked well. What do I do to fix my board?

Hannah

By Emma (Guest Post)
Best Answer

To get Sharpie marker off of a whiteboard, color over it with an Expo marker and erase with a whiteboard eraser.

By mooty (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Scotch-brite is certainly safer than solvents such as WD-40, but it IS an abrasive, and it WILL take *something* off the whiteboard surface. Re-waxing your surface is probably a good idea. In the future, I suggest using a cleaning chemical with a low toxicity if it won't come off.

Hi,

I read on another board somewhere that you can wax it with car wax and it works great again. I am not 100% on this so lets here from some others please!!!

By Lynda (Guest Post)

If alcohol doesn't work, Cream Perioxide will (Beauty Supply, like Sally's), unless the surface has been scratched and the finish is ruined. Good luck. : )

By Deb (Guest Post)

I found a great solution for any whiteboard that no longer works. Just recover it with a disposable whiteboard material.

I used GoWrite Dry Erase Rolls (Self Stick Dry Erase Rolls AR1806 ( 18" X 6' ) - Fabulous. They work better than the original LOL!

By Amy (Guest Post)

I have used many of the above techniques, including Windex, to clean my whiteboard. Eventually the whiteboard got so that any marking wouldn't wipe off easily. I was told that anything other than alcohol is too toxic to the board and abrades the waxy finish, so if you use stuff that makes it so the marker doesn't wipe off easily you should rewax the board! Then it should be like new again.

By the way, I now use hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol mixed with water, and it does WONDERS for getting the board clean!

Anonymous

Try spraying it with pledge or wd-40. The wax/oil may help resurface it.