Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Refrigerator

Category Appliances
Whether the marker got on the fridge due to a slip of the hand when writing on a whiteboard, or as the result of your little artist, it can be removed. This is a guide about removing dry erase marker from a refrigerator.

I have a problem trying to get out dry erase marker off of the side of my fridge. The side of my fridge isn't smooth like the front and I've tried everything I can think of to get it out, like bleach with water, disinfectant sprays, and the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. The marker seems to be stuck in the little grooves! Can anyone help?

Jessica from Eaton, Ohio

Answers

Best Answer

Try a product called TSP it is found in hardware stores and works really well.

Best Answer

I tried everything to remove pen marks from a ridged refridgerator door... Magic Eraser, Goo Gone, Windex, Clorox wipes, nail polish remover. NOTHING worked until I tried the SOS pads suggested above. It took some heavy duty scrubbing but the marks are finally gone. I can not get them off the toilet seat cover or the bath tub though. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

My fridge is not dimpled, but your regular flat, white surface. My son drew with black dry-erase and it left behind a stain. The ONLY THING that worked was a combination of the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser dipped in Nail polish remover. BE SURE to wipe with damp cloth, and dry afterward or it will leave a residue. Happy Cleaning!

Best Answer

My daughter took a dry erase marker to the fridge also. The fridge is dimpled like an orange peel. I tried EVERYTHING that you all below me said. I tried nail polish remover, toothpaste, bleach, baby wipes, windex, lysol spray, bug spray. I even took the advise of writing back over it and then wiping it off again. Didn't work.

I got so excited that everyone said to use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This did not even touch it! Then I found the post about taking the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser dipped in Nail polish remover. This was my last effort! IT WORKED! I don't know what kind of chemicals we mixed ( I was a little worried mixing it) but it took it off with ease and NO DAMAGE! I only wish I had found it first and not last! Thank you to the person who posted the answer on 8/18/08! Thank you, thank you!

Best Answer

Try Isopropyl alcohol. Spray on leave few minutes. Wipe with dry clean rag.

Best Answer

I had the same problem and tried all the hints I read here and everywhere else. Then I was looking under the sink for something else to try and I finally tried the liquid glass-top stove cleaner. It is a very fine abrasive and it did the trick using it with a paper towel. It got into the texture of the refrigerator and does not seem to have removed the paint.

My daughter drew on my brand new refrigerator (inside and out) with a green dry erase marker. I tried everything from nail polish remover to rubbing alcohol. Any suggestions?

Missy from Amarillo

Answers:

Dry Erase Maker Cleaner

I would go to an office supply store and buy some dry erase marker cleaner. It is kind of expensive but that is what it is made for. I would also do this before you try anything else because everything you are using could be setting in the stain rather than taking it away. (01/27/2006)

By Rachel from TN

Purple Power

I purchased "Purple Power" from Walmart. It is in the Automotive section. It is a degreaser and works great at removing all kinds of marks, and it is biodegradable too! (01/27/2006)

By Donna from Austin, Texas

Greased Lightning

My granddaughter did the same thing to my washer and dryer. I tried the dry erase cleaner but it didn't get it all off. I finally tried 'Greased Lightning' and it worked great. This can be bought at WalMart, Home Depot, etc. in the cleaning depts. (01/27/2006)

By sjackie2000

Goo Gone

If you have baby wipes, try one of those. I've been amazed at what messes my artist (aka 3 year old) makes that I can wipe up simply with a baby wipe. Another idea - there's a product called Goo Gone that I've seen at Walmart or hardware stores. It takes out all kinds of things, although I think the main purpose is for removing adhesive stickiness from plastics. (01/28/2006)

By mclandy

Lysol

I would try Lysol spray (any scent) It removes permanent marker from Dry Erase boards, so maybe it will work. Good Luck.
(01/28/2006)

By lil'ol'me

Mr Clean Magic Eraser

Mr Clean Magic Eraser took PERMANENT marker off the side of our fridge. My daughter wrote on the fridge thinking she had a dry erase marker. It took the marks off completely so I think that would definitely work on dry erase markers. I know sometimes I just write on my fridge with one of those markers, if I can't completely clean it, I just snip off a little square of the erase pad and clean up anything left over. (01/29/2006)

By washburn6394

Dry Washcloth

Might be obvious, but have you tried a dry towel? I've had my kids draw on mine (with a non-smooth finish) with dry erase and I dry washcloth always takes it off. (Probably if you try it first anyway.)
(01/31/2006)

By Kaina

Dry Erase Marker

You could actually try marking over the mark with another dry erase marker, and then wiping it up while still wet. I know this works to take permanent marker off of dry erase surfaces.
(03/01/2006)

By Chris Lewis

SOS Pads

We had dry erase marker on our fridge for a good four months with a "to do" list, and the sun hit it, and from now on I swear by SOS pads. I'm sure those other things work, but if you are living abroad, you may not find them. SOS pads saved us from losing our deposit! (06/01/2006)

By Kari in Mexico

Goo Gone

My daughter just did the same thing. Goo Gone did it. The magic Eraser didn't even touch it. (07/27/2007)

By Kris