Removing Diesel From Block Paved Driveway

My grandson spilled some diesel on my newly laid block paved drive. I have tried hot soapy water but that has not worked. Can someone please tell me how to get it off?

Best Answer

Yoy could try water soluble degreaser from a big box store. Scrub with a bristle brush and rinse.

Best Answer

Diesel fuel is oily. I would try dumping cheap clay cat litter on the spot. Maybe even step on it and sort of "grind" it into the stain. Put down a pretty thick layer of the litter and leave it for a day or two. It should absorb some of the oil. Sweep it up and apply fresh litter again. It should continue to absorb more of the oil. Auto parts stores sell an oil absorbent called "Zip Zorb" which seems to be to be a fancy, specialized name for cat litter!

I would then scrub the spot with a stiff scrub brush and a strong solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) and boiling hot water and then rinse with more boiling hot water. You can buy TSP at hardware stores. It's in powder or granular form. I've even absorbed oil stains with a layer of plain old cornstarch but I think cat litter would be cheaper and more practical for this application. Good Luck!

You may try paint remover I use it to get oil stains off drive way.

Gas pump with fuel spill
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 21, 2008
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
moss on a driveway
Removing Moss from a Driveway
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway