Painting Kitchen with Light Blue Countertops

I don't know what color to paint my kitchen walls, or possibly wallpaper them. My countertops are light blue with some faint gray and white.

By Sandra

Hi, if your walls are good please don't paper them you will always regret it!

I think pale yellow looks good with pale blue in the kitchen, look at Laura Ashley online catalogues and IKEA uses that colour scheme too think its called Gustavian style.

Not sure what color tone your cabinets are but you may want to try a deeper blue/gray shade to add some contrast and mute the blue if you don't want it to be so predominant. They sell little sample paints so you could try a couple of colors to see how they look before you tackle the whole job.

I would suggest papering the walls, I always paper and I have never regretted it; removal of paper is easy. I suggest finding a paper that has the light blue in as an accent along with maybe a chocolate color. Good luck:)

June 3, 2010 Flag

I have a newly designed kitchen with blue countertops (Sanded Marine by Staron). Currently the walls are painted a light blue. We're going to have the walls repainted, but can't decide on a color. The kitchen is part of an open floor plan where you can see the living room and dining room, both of which are painted a pumpkin/copper color. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Joey from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Yellow goes great with blue, either bright or creamy, and brown and beige, or tan also go nice with blue! (01/14/2010)

By av8rs3

Taking into account all the colors that you mentioned, I was thinking like a creamy seashell tone. Blue - Ocean, Cabinet seemed like a dark sand tone. Take highlights of all the colors for the walls. (01/17/2010)

By StaceyT

You need to stick with a light color because the tops of the countertops don't reflect light as they are a dark color. This will keep your kitchen bright and cheery instead of the 'cave' effect. (01/18/2010)

By cookwie

Thinking of both the counters and the other wall colors, I am thinking a light to medium yellow. Yellow and blue go together well and the warmth of the yellow will tie in with the warmth of the other wall colors. (01/18/2010)

By purrplekat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2010 Flag

What color should I paint the walls in a small kitchen with light blue countertops?

Leslie from Pineville, KY

Answers:

Any cool color will look nice. Think of the rainbow, and stick to the blue side. You can choose from yellow, green, blue, and purple depending on your taste. I would stick to pastels as you said the counter top is "light" blue.
It is hard to say a specific color when the woodwork cabinet, and floor color is unknown.

Do you collect anything specific in the kitchen? Maybe you could pull a color from a favorite table cloth with the blue color in it. (02/03/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

I think I'd paint the walls light blue to tie in with the countertops. This would be especially nice if the cabinets are white. You didn't tell us the color of your cabinets.

If they are wood-tone, I am not sure what I would do. In that case, I may think about a light tan pulled from the cabinets. But you need to tie in the countertops and not let them be the only item in the kitchen that is blue.

What color is the floor? The color of the flooring and the cabinets helps tell what shade to make the walls. But I vote for light blue. (02/05/2009)

By Carol in PA

Not knowing any other colors in the room, I would go with a light (yellow) cream color, especially since you say the room is small and cream would go with the floor and cabinets-no matter what color they are. Then you could bring in accent colors in curtains, towels, display items, etc. (If the floor is colored, you could pull them from it.) If the floor is a neutral color, you could use some bright red, green, etc. colors to accent. This would make the kitchen seem bright without overwhelming it. Throw in a fresh green plant if you can. Have fun! (02/05/2009)

By Pam

I have light blue counter tops (sky blue) and I painted my kitchen a sage green color. I got a wallpaper border to put up on my soffits that had blue and green in to tie it all together. I suggest you find the border first to tie in the blue and then have paint tinted to whatever you find in the wallpaper that coordinates the colors together. Also, go to a wallpaper store rather than a home improvement store. They are much better to work with for ideas. It literally took me less than 15 minutes to find what I needed. To be even more frugal, I got my paint at the same store that had a miss-tint color that worked perfect. The paint cost $4/gal and the border was less than $20. (02/05/2009)

By Shelly

I would go with yellow. Think French Country. Paint the trim white. What color are the cabinets? You can always throw a coat of white paint on them as well. After painting the walls yellow, decorate with greenery (aka real plants), vines, and botanical pictures. A nice complementing color for the light blue, yellow and white is burgundy. A single burgundy flower either in a vase on the table, or in a picture ties the room together. (02/05/2009)

By bina2j

Try pastels like a very light pale peachy color with pastel greens and yellows and white for any trims you have. (02/05/2009)

By Shirley

Try peach, a light green, rose, or beige. Usually I take awhile to look at the colors, and then it hits me one day. Take your time if you're not sure. There are plenty of magazines out there with ideas. But I would go with any of the colors above. Good Luck. (02/05/2009)

By Darlene

Yellow. Brighten it up! (09/24/2009)

By Cathy S

Light burgundy, not pink. (01/13/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 3, 2010
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎉
🎄