Feeding a Baby Lamb

I need help please. I have a 1 day old baby lamb that I am bottle feeding and it doesn't want to eat. It only takes a couple sips at a time. What do I do? Help.

By Linda

I used to bottle feed both baby goats and lambs. I was told to feed them goats milk because of the high fat content. Also to get the baby to drink it, you might try putting something sweet on the nipple, I believe that's what I did when they weren't cooperative. I would also basically force it on them. I saved several babies that would have just laid down and died on their own, I had to force some of them to eat. It's hard and time consuming, but to me, it's the humane thing to do. Good luck!

If you have problems, please call your local Large animal veterinarian for any advice. Good luck.

I think that its the temperature of the milk is the key test it on the inside of your wrist after you have warmed it up, if you can't feel it it is the right temperature. Try mixing powdered milk 1cup to 2 cups of water keep in the fridge till needed. Did you get a lamb teat? they are a bit longer and thinner than goats teats good luck keep trying it may just be tired sometimes they don't drink straight away. Also put some in a bowl it may drink that way, I some times just dip my finger in the milk and get it sucking that way. Try ringing someone in the area that might help.