Homemade Salad Dressing Too Thin

Why does my salad dressing (HV packets and homemade blue cheese) made with anything less than 2% milk and/or low fat mayo not get thick? They are okay when first mixed, but after they are refrigerated, they become thin and very liquid? Is there anything I can mix in to thicken them?

By Karen

I don't buy any packaged salad mixes, but make everything from scratch. 2% milk and low fat mayonnaise will make your salad dressing too watery. Here's a recipe on the food website to get you started.

I make my own homemade mayonnaise using farm fresh eggs that I purchase from a family that raises their own chickens. Therefore, I know the source of the eggs and don't have to worry about salmonella poisoning. Mayonnaise and salad dressings even the low fat variety and are made with fructose (sweetener). When I make my own mayonnaise, it is slightly sweetened with 1-2 tsp. of sugar.

Type in homemade salad dressings in the search box on the website and you will find any dressing that your heart desires. I've never had any problems with homemade salad dressings that I've made.

It's because those items have a such a low fat content. The higher the fat % the thicker and more rich the final outcome. Give it a try using whole milk and regular mayonnaise. If you don't normally use whole milk and regular mayonnaise just get one of those really small containers of milk and there are also small containers of regular mayo available too.

Check your ingredients on your mayo product, the first ingredient needs to be soy bean oil. If it says water, you will get the results you are getting. I believe Hellman's uses soy bean oil as first ingredient and Walmarts Great Value Brand does too.

Claire Robinson on "5 Ingredient Fix" on the Food Network has a fabulous homemade Ranch Dressing. It is just delicious. I will never buy store-bought ranch dressing again.

Look up her " Iceberg Salad with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing " recipe..it is so yummy!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMay 25, 2011
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix