Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Some meat got left in our van for 5 nights. There is no sign of leakage, but the smell is horrendous. How can I remove the smell from the air, or do I need to just wash the carpet?

By bugpie

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Regina Forbes [2]09/26/2010

I put charcoal on some newpaper and left it over night. The next day I replaced the charcoal with another batch and left it overnight. Then I bought some red apples and cut in quarters and put under the seat. To my surprise it worked! Now when I want to refresh my car I put more apples!!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

My daughter left hamburger in my van for over 3 days, with outside temps reaching over 95 degrees. The blood leaked out and saturated the carpet. I have allergies and chemical sensitives, so I can't anything containing perfumes or scented. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up this mess?

SCCanLady from Charleston, SC

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Try white vinegar and see if that works. Put it on full strength and let it sit. (06/30/2008)

By Betty

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Clean it thoroughly. Let it air out if possible. When dry try baking soda then vacuuming up. You can use Febreze if it doesn't bother your allergies. If it does, stick with cleaning and baking soda and airing out with windows down. (06/30/2008)

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

For the stain you can try hydrogen peroxide (the brown bottle in the first aid aisle). It should bubble out the blood stain. Leave it on for awhile then blot it up, repeat if necessary. That will also help w/ the odor. For the odor you can use straight white vinegar poured on until it dries. You can set dishes of straight white vinegar in the vehicle w/ the windows closed (absorbs odors). You can put pans of un-used coffee grounds in the vehicle, cheap brand. Do NOT pour the coffee grounds on the carpeting, it can stain. Baking soda is another option to try. Do NOT pour baking soda on wet carpeting. Maybe make a solution of baking soda and water and sponge it onto the stain /odor. Allow to dry and vacuum off. If you can remove the odor, but not all of the stain maybe you can get new floor mats for the area. (07/01/2008)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

What about steam cleaning? I don't have a cleaner, but they certainly look like they work in the ads. Perhaps you could phone an auto cleaning shop and ask what they use, or perhaps get it professionally done. I would ask if they can clean this out before you pay someone to do it. (07/01/2008)

By louel53

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

You can also use ammonia (watered down) after blotting the blood up, spot test it. If you get out all the blood and any smell remains you can try coffee grounds once it is thoroughly dried. Good luck! (07/01/2008)

By momo5

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Try placing some charcoal briquettes on the carpet. (Like Kingsford for the BBQ) It absorbs the smell of meat odors from old freezers, give it a try. (07/02/2008)

By PICO

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

2-3 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract mixed with about 4-6 oz. of plain water in a spray bottle! Spray heavily in area where blood is. My hubby left a "plastic lined" box that had packages of raw chicken in plastic bags in my car overnight several years ago. (No, he didn't leave the chickens, just the box!) The box with the plastic liner had blood from the chickens still in it and leaked all over the back end of my car. Really, really bad smell! A friend who had been a used car dealer told me about this and it really really worked. Good for all kinds of bad odors. (07/02/2008)

By Beverly

RE: Removing Rotten Meat Odor From Car

Thanks everyone for your ideas on how to best clean up my car. I pretty much have it beat now. I started out with baking soda and white vinegar. Then I steamed cleaned it until I got all the visible blood out of the carpet, then I blasted it with steam a few more times. My last effort was using straight white vinegar for the lingering smell. That seems to have taken care of the whole rotten mess. (07/03/2008)

By sccanlady