Cleaning Clothes That Have Yellowed

Category Laundry
Cleaning Clothes
Older clothing can sometimes yellow with age. This guide is about cleaning clothes that have yellowed.

What's the best way to get white and colored clothing clean after it's been hanging in a closet for ages and has yellowed? I don't want to use chlorine bleach. I am afraid of using bleach full strength.

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Best Answer

Oxyclean is great for whites. You can leave things soak for days if necessary. I soaked a 50 year old tablecloth for 3 days and the stains finally came out. Unlike bleach, it does not dissolve the material.

For colors soak (follow directions) in "Clorox 2, Stain Fighter & Color Booster". It's pricey, but gets out grease and blood from clothes. It is the best I've ever used on colors in 60 years of doing laundry.

Best Answer

I used to wear white uniforms. The best way to brighten and clean is to run through the washer with Lestoil. Then you'll have to wash again to get the smell out. Works wonderfully.

Best thing would be to hang the clothes in the sunshine to dry. Never use bleach full strength--it will burn holes in some fabric. But a little bleach may help brighten yellowed clothes--start with a small amount like 1/2 cup for a full load of laundry but just use bleach on whites. Try borax or washing soda for colors.

Try Oxyclean or any of those products with the word Oxy in it. They really whiten!

Good I shall check. Thanks.

How to get yellow out of clothes

How do I get yellow out of clothes that have been hanging in closet for ages

How do you remove the yellowing on clothing articles left hanging on hangers too long?

By Cheryl

Best Answer

If the stains are rust from the hangers there is a product 'Whink", a brown bottle found with the laundry detergent in your grocery store. When you put it on you can see the stain disappear right before your eyes. Then you will need to launder immediately.

If the stain is just age yellowing try soaking in Oyxclean, found also in the laundry detergent area. Directions are on the box. Unlike bleach, Oxyclean will not remove the color from colored garments. After soaking and washing be sure to check for all the stain removal before putting the garment into the dryer. If stain is still evident then soak again in Oxyclean.

I have left things soaking in Oxyclean for more than a week and they were not damaged.

I have successfully removed rust stains by saturating the stained area with lemon juice and setting out in full sun for a few hours, this would probably work here, too.

You must mean a product called Wink not Wisk ... it is in a brown bottle and is for rust stains...

Does this work with colored clothes too?

How do I make white undershirts white again after they turn yellow?

By Mary Lou from Flanders, NJ

Best Answer

Use Mrs. Stewart's "Bluing" in your rinse cycle. Don't put too much in or it will stain "bluish" spots, just a few gradual washings using the "bluing" in all of your white washes and you'll see brilliant, white clothing.

http://www.mrsstewart.com/

Even if there are bluish spots, they'll eventually wash away, they're not permanent stains.

Use no chlorine bleach, directions on container, good luck.

I would bleach them. Hanging them in the sun after washing might help as well.

I have used Clorex bleach liquid, oxiclean small amount of hot water in a bucket and let them soak. For a larger amount of clothing, fill washer on low, put above in, agitate then drop clothing in. Make sure enough water to cover clothing. Stand there and agitate for about 5 minutes, shut machine off. Let soak about 20 minutes, then restart washer from beginning, fill, add detergent, etc. I have the whitest shirts, dish towels, etc.

I have a 50 year old child's communion dress that has yellowed. How do I clean/restore the yellowed with age dress? One professional cleaner said to wash it in Oxi-clean and Woolite. Another professional cleaner said they could only clean it, it would look the same, just clean not whitened. Suggestions weicome.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Every spring and summer,I hang my delicate whites on the clothesline for a couple of days. Of course,hot sunny days. It keeps my delicate whites nice and bright!

I let my yellowed or not whites soak in a bucket of water with about 1/2 C of store brand powder dishwasher detergent. I usually let it soak over night. Works great.

What is the best way to clean clothes that have yellowed?

By Cristina

Best Answer

Put the clothes in a container with extremely hot water, and a scoop or two of Oxy Clean. Close the container (we use a small cooler). Let them sit for at least 20 minutes, open it, stir/look to see how much they've whitened. The longer you leave them soak, the more it works. Then dump them into the washer (those clothes only is best) and wash like normal. That should work.

I have a vintage, wool Varsity sweater, which has become "golden." It was originally white. I'd like to brighten it up, but I'm concerned about the navy colored patches. I appreciate any help you can offer.

If you cover the navy letter and put the sweater in directly sunlight, the white areas should bleach out. Not sure if it will take a while, though Good luck.

Thank you! :)

I recently received three dress shirts. As nearly as we can determine they are from the late 1800s or very early 1900s. They have removable collars and cuffs, bibbed fronts, etc. The problem is that they are stained with orange spots and what isn't orange is very yellowed. They are beautifully made and although I have no idea what to do with them, I would like to restore them. The cotton is very smooth and sturdy. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

By Lynda T

I have used lemon juice and the sun. If that didn't work I used hydrogen peroxide and the sun. J

What can I do to prevent and remove those stains that appear on your pants after being on the hangers for a while? It's like a straight line across the top pant leg that's been exposed on the hanger? I have this issue all the time and it really bugs me! I have a job interview in the morning and the nicest professional looking pair of pants that I plan on wearing has that one line across one pant leg.

Will machine washing it alone work or is there any pre-treating secrets you can reveal to help me so I look nice for my interview? I really want to make a good impression and not look silly or too cheap to afford a descent pair of pants (although I really can't afford a new pair of pants LOL). Any advice you can provide me is so greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much! :)

By Jennifer P.

Try wetting a pressing cloth with white vinegar & press the crease. I have used this method on skirts when I let the hem out.

Syd's 2 cents

I have a dry cleanable seersucker jacket that has yellowed over time. is there any remedy to return the white areas, white? now it just looks dirty and dingy and is unwearable.

Paulette from Tennessee

I had several blouses that I sent to the cleaners and they became yellowed, I could not wear them at all. I thought what the heck, and through them in the wash and they came out with as snow. It has something to do with the cleaning solutions. hope this helps.

How do I get a yellow spot out of my white blouse after it has been hanging in the closet?

Answer Was this helpful? 3

how to get yellowing out of shirt that has hung too long.

The stain is from my wardrobe having been there for several years

Well, not enough info to tell you for sure--if it is cotton, you can use some bleach or oxyclean. What caused the spot?

Do you know what the stain is from? Is it oil based? Usually any stain comes out with Oxiclean but it would help to know what it's from

I'm looking for the answer

Try soaking it in hot water (5 gallons) with 2 T each of powdered dishwasher detergent and hydrogen peroxide. Soak overnight and wash as usual the next day.

How do you clean a white cotton turtle neck shirt that has yellowed?

Mslipp from Laguna Niguel, CA

Answers:

Yellowed Cotton Clothing

My sister has had a lot of good luck removing stains from white cotton fabric by-

1. washing garment and placing it in the sun to dry
  2. washing garment and putting a little diluted lemon juice on the stain and putting it in the sun to dry

Good luck! (09/09/2007)

By metroplex

Yellowed Cotton Clothing

My mother used to clean my yellowing white cotton shirts collar by soaking the collar in a diluted detergent then placing the part of the garment dipped in the detergent in the sun for at least two hours and then machine or hand wash. (10/28/2008)

By Andre

Load More