Cleaning Clothes That Have Yellowed

Older clothing can sometimes yellow with age. This guide is about cleaning clothes that have yellowed.

Cleaning Clothes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 31, 2011 Flag

I have an "old age" discoloration on a sweater. That "old lace" yellow type of color where it was folded. How can I remove it? The sweater is ivory colored and is a cotton/ramie blend.

By Joan from Chesapeake

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would hang it out in the sunshine for a few days, a week, or whatever it takes. The sun will draw the stain out. I have a cleaning business and wear alot of white, because of the bleach that some people use. The furniture polish stains appear during the months that they are packed up for the season. This works great especially for light colored clothes.

January 26, 2015 Flag

I recently received three dress shirts. As nearly as we can determine they are from the late 1800s or very early 1900s. They have removable collars and cuffs, bibbed fronts, etc. The problem is that they are stained with orange spots and what isn't orange is very yellowed. They are beautifully made and although I have no idea what to do with them, I would like to restore them. The cotton is very smooth and sturdy. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

By Lynda T

I have used lemon juice and the sun. If that didn't work I used hydrogen peroxide and the sun. J

March 25, 2010 Flag

What's the best way to get white and colored clothing clean after it's been hanging in a closet for ages and has yellowed? I don't want to use chlorine bleach. I am afraid of using bleach full strength.

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Best thing would be to hang the clothes in the sunshine to dry. Never use bleach full strength--it will burn holes in some fabric. But a little bleach may help brighten yellowed clothes--start with a small amount like 1/2 cup for a full load of laundry but just use bleach on whites. Try borax or washing soda for colors.

I used to wear white uniforms. The best way to brighten and clean is to run through the washer with Lestoil. Then you'll have to wash again to get the smell out. Works wonderfully.

Try Oxyclean or any of those products with the word Oxy in it. They really whiten!

Oxyclean is great for whites. You can leave things soak for days if necessary. I soaked a 50 year old tablecloth for 3 days and the stains finally came out. Unlike bleach, it does not dissolve the material.

For colors soak (follow directions) in "Clorox 2, Stain Fighter & Color Booster". It's pricey, but gets out grease and blood from clothes. It is the best I've ever used on colors in 60 years of doing laundry.

November 3, 2013 Flag

What is the best way to clean clothes that have yellowed?

By Cristina

Put the clothes in a container with extremely hot water, and a scoop or two of Oxy Clean. Close the container (we use a small cooler). Let them sit for at least 20 minutes, open it, stir/look to see how much they've whitened. The longer you leave them soak, the more it works. Then dump them into the washer (those clothes only is best) and wash like normal. That should work.

October 2, 2013 Flag

What can I do to prevent and remove those stains that appear on your pants after being on the hangers for a while? It's like a straight line across the top pant leg that's been exposed on the hanger? I have this issue all the time and it really bugs me! I have a job interview in the morning and the nicest professional looking pair of pants that I plan on wearing has that one line across one pant leg.

Will machine washing it alone work or is there any pre-treating secrets you can reveal to help me so I look nice for my interview? I really want to make a good impression and not look silly or too cheap to afford a descent pair of pants (although I really can't afford a new pair of pants LOL). Any advice you can provide me is so greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much! :)

By Jennifer P.

Try wetting a pressing cloth with white vinegar & press the crease. I have used this method on skirts when I let the hem out.

Syd's 2 cents

July 10, 2011 Flag

How do you remove the yellowing on clothing articles left hanging on hangers too long?

By Cheryl

I have successfully removed rust stains by saturating the stained area with lemon juice and setting out in full sun for a few hours, this would probably work here, too.

If the stains are rust from the hangers there is a product 'Whisk", a brown bottle found with the laundry detergent in your grocery store. When you put it on you can see the stain disapear right before your eyes. Then you will need to launder immediately.

If the stain is just age yellowing try soaking in Oyxclean-found also in the laundry detergent area. Directions are on the box. Unlike bleach Oxyclean will not remove the color from colored garments. After soaking and washing be sure to check for all the stain removal before putting the garment into the dryer. If stain is still evident then soak again in oxyclean.

I have left things soaking in Oxyclean for more than a week and they were not damaged.

April 13, 2004 Flag

I have a dry cleanable seersucker jacket that has yellowed over time. is there any remedy to return the white areas, white? now it just looks dirty and dingy and is unwearable.

Paulette from Tennessee

Here's an article about cleaning antique clothing.

http://www.lonestarts.com/Fashion/antique-garment-care.htm

I don't know what a seersucker is, maybe someone else knows more.

I had several blouses that I sent to the cleaners and they became yellowed, I could not wear them at all. I thought what the heck, and through them in the wash and they came out with as snow. It has something to do with the cleaning solutions. hope this helps.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMay 29, 2013
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Diagram of how to make a clothes pin rocking chair.
Making a Clothes Pin Chair
Yellowed Refrigerator Handles
Cleaning Yellowed Refrigerator Handles
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:12:23 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 272 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.