Getting Rid of Rats

I have a real problem. There was construction in a wooded site near my home and now I seem to be infested with rats who have nested under a shed in my backyard. I have 2 little dogs and another medium sized dog. I don't want to use rat poison to get rid of them. I am fearful the dogs will get into it and be affected by the poison. Can anyone help with a way to rid my yard of these rodents. I would appreciate any help.

By Phyllis from Bay Shore, NY

Go to your local hardware store and get a couple humane traps. Once you catch the rats, you can drive them to the nearest woods and release them.

Hi there I use to work for the City OF CALGARY and we would use gofer bombs lite the end of the bomb and throw it into their hole and that should take care of the all.

I will tell you what my dad would do (cause he has done it), let all your friends know you are on the look out for a black snake. Catch the black snake and put him under the shed. It won't bother the dogs, it will eat all the rats and when the food is gone he will leave to look for more food. While he is down there he will eat any snakes that wander in too. Black snakes are nature's natural exterminators.

My grandmother used peppermint plants to keep rodents out of her farmhouse. I planted peppermint around our house -- no rodents. I would recommend buying the peppermint from a pharmacy used for cooking and flavoring, mixing it in a spray bottle and spraying it around the yard etc. It shouldn't bother dogs or cats.

We put moth balls under the house and any building we have on our property and scatter them around the yard. The outside buildings also get some put inside. It deters even snakes from getting into our yard, no more bugs or mice in the house!

Go to a farm supply store and get some 'Ramik' bars. The rats will eat them and they will dehydrate and die. When you find them dead, they are flat as pancakes and don't blow up like they do with D'Con.

Getting Rid of Rats
Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House
Home and Garden Pest Control RatsMarch 21, 2011
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Family of Rats
Getting Rid of Rats
A brown rat outside.
Dealing With Rats Outside Your House
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons