Carbonated Soda For Rats

To get rid of rats, leave out a dish of carbonated soda. Rats cannot expel gas.

By Laura

That is good idea but I have a question. Do the rats eat it and then die or do they get repelled by it somehow???

Ziggee

I have had a company sent by the local authority to get rid of the rats but they are still here and I even see them. Because I'm over 65 they don't charge me. Should I get rid of the decking and have cemented stones or slabs instead?

I am not sure if this would work- rats can stomach many abrasive things-but it does not sound very humane. Please remember to take care of your rat problem in a manner that will not cause the animals to suffer!

By Questioning ONE. (Guest Post)

If OhlinVR had an infestation of rats I wonder how that problem would be handled?

By Paula W (Guest Post)

I have had an infestation of rats in the attic and used the anti-coagulant D-con for it. What I understand is that it causes internal hemorraging and great thirst which causes them to go out to seek water. Their death is relatively painless.

(I hope) I agree with OhlinVR very strongly that it is my responsibility as an intelligent and caring human being not to cause undue pain to any of the little creatures around me that are, after all, just trying to make a living.

By (Guest Post)

I've also heard that powdered potatoe flakes work well, (the same idea). And who really cares if they suffer, for goodness sake, they are RATS!

By gnsamuels (Guest Post)

These rats are driving me nuts! I'm justa about willing to try anything to get rid of them. There're also very smart and cannot be underestimated. They've just about destroyed all the food no matter where I store them, it's to the point where I dont even go grocery shopping anymore.Please Help! Any suggestions?

By (Guest Post)

dip a cotton ball tied on a string in fox urine and hang in your attic...good-bye rats

Carbonated soda - what an intriguing idea! I wonder how long it retains enough fizz to work?

I have periodic invasions of mice in the house and I, too, use D-Con. I doubt that it is a painless death, which bothers me some, but I have tried every kind of trap and repellant I can find, and this is the only effective way to get rid of them. I don't like to cause suffering in other creatures, but I feel that I have a right to live, too. I will deal with invaders in the most humane method that works.

Outdoors, of course, D-Con raises the specter of poisoning other animals, including the neighbors' pets. You would have to be very, very careful how you used it in that situation.