Grass Clippings as Garden Mulch

When you mow your lawn, take the grass clippings and use as mulch on your flower and vegetable beds. It will bleach out to a straw color in a short time and will help keep moisture in the soil, keep down weeds, and nourish the plants.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville , NY

Please, make sure this is OK with the one who takes care of the garden. Almost caused a divorce in our household. Never will I allow someone to put the clippings in my garden. You get the seeds of the weeds, etc. My 5-6 hours a week in gardening will not tolerate the new plantings of what should not be there.

As a kid, we had to weed every morning before we could play in the summer. 4 hours, every day, to rid the gardens of all weeds/grass. What you see in a grass growing in the garden, is many times more in length under the ground, creating is own weed system. I pitchfork over all my gardens, remove the plants there, loosen the soil, put them back, and dastardly long roots from grasses which got a foothold anyway, you fight.

If you hire your gardening done and pay by the hour ($10 or more) to have them weed and grass free, more power to them.

I do not use any substance of weed killer, destroyer, etc in any of my flower or vegetable gardens. Many of my friends and neighbors also garden without chemicals.

Leaving the clippings on the grass gives them the nitrogen it needs for the lawn.

saving money on mulch
Saving Money on Mulch
Home and Garden Gardening MulchJune 1, 2011
A lawn mower mowing the grass.
Uses for Grass Clippings
Grass Clippings On Sidewalk
Using Grass Clippings That Have Weed Killer On Them
Replacing Grass With Mulch
Replacing Grass With Mulch
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
🎄