Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
One simple way to get rid of mold is to turn it over into the topsoil and wet it down with water. A second way is to loosen it up with a rake to allow air to circulate around it and help to dry it out. A third way is to remove the mulch and place it in a pile and soak the pile with water. When left to sit, the pile should generate enough heat to kill off the mold and fungus.
The most effective way to control the growth of mold is to change the environment in which it grows. Mold tends to grow best in warm, humid environments. And while you may not be able to control the weather, there are a few things you can do to minimize its ability to grow.
Mulch made from coarse wood products are less likely to have mold and fungus problems than fresh, finely ground woody products. Make sure to apply mulch no more than 2 inches deep (in warm weather) and follow every application by soaking it with water.
Judy, If you've used anything natural like bark or straw as the mulch, it's going to eventually break down. Mold (fungus) is usually what appears first. There's no way to get rid of it naturally without harsh chemicals (fungicides). If you don't like the idea of stuff breaking down, you might want to switch to pebbles or something inorganic to use as a mulch.
Arzeena - firstname.lastname@example.org
Just scrape off the top layer of mulch and replace it with fresh mulch. Or, turn the mulch over. When the air is humid, the molds grow, when it is dry they go into dormancy.
Here's a great site about the advantages and disadvantages of different mulches.
Susan - Thrifty Fun! Editor
I have a vegatable garden and there is mold in the soil. What can I do to get rid of it.
We have recently moved into a new home which has central air conditioning ~ The outside unit sits on the north side of the house and has recently been surrounded with mulch which is almost constanly in shade.
When I turned on the air conditioner for the first time yesterday, there was immediately a nasty odor being brought into the house and I began experiencing feelings of dizzyness and nausea last night ~ I'm quite suspicious that the mulch might be moldy ~ Is there some way I can determine if this is the case ?
Thank you so much ~