How to Keep Branches from Growing Back

Q: I need to know how to keep branches from growing back after I trim them.

Maurice

A: Maurice,

I'm going to assume you're talking about pruning trees. When trimming a tree branch that you don't want to grow back, you need to cut the branch back to either another main branch or to the tree's trunk. Pruning should be done just outside the branch collar-the swollen, thick area at the base of each branch. Avoid injuring this area, as it is critical to healing the pruning wound.

Never leave a stub. New branches will grow back from around the edges. If you are worried about pests or disease, paint pruning wounds with tree salve (available at garden centers), tar or latex paint. For useful diagrams on making correct pruning cuts, visit the "tree care tips" section at the National Arbor Foundation's website. www.arborday.org

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

My mother has always coated the stump of the limb with either honey or mollasses. I recommend Mollassess as it comes in a much large container. Just paint it on like you would a sealant and voila, done.

Home and Garden Gardening PruningFebruary 23, 2006
Pine Branch on White Background
Decorating With Branches
Yellow Forsythia Blooms
Forcing Branches To Bloom
Crafts Using Tree Branches
Crafts Using Tree Branches
Eucalyptus Branch
Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
🎉
🎄