Homemade Shower Seat

Because I have several disabilities, I have a hard time feeling safe in a shower. The shower seats are hard to find in thrift shops, as people tend to hang onto them. Buying one new isn't possible, either. So, I took a 5 gallon bucket, inflated my donut seat, and Voila! I can sit in comfort and safety, and I don't have to worry about getting anything dry afterwords except me. I can keep it in there in the back. If water gets inside, I simply tip and and it's down the drain.

By poor but proud from Coos Bay OR

This seems like a good solution, but I am appalled that in a place like Oregon that you can't get a proper seat. Here in Canada, in Saskatchewan, these seats are provided for those who need them. One just needs to get a note from the doctor or physiotherapist, and then go pick on up at the agency. Are you sure that you don't have similar services?

Two suggestions, one, go to your computer and look up your local freecycle.org, post a request for a shower chair, people whose relatives have passed away often have these and do not know what to do with them. Two: contact your local red cross organization, in Canada, you can get equipment like this if you have a disability and a note from your doctor. Actually, I guess it is three suggestions, contact me at my email address, I have a bath board that someone made for me, I can give you instructions and it works like a dream, you don't have to worry about it slipping or drainage.

What a good idea, especially because people often only need them for a short time, such as after knee replacement. I used a lawn chair in the shower, but it was so big. Thanks for the idea.

How about using a small plastic patio chair with the doughnut. It should fit perfectily in the shower and has sides for support and slots to let the water get out.

Good ideas everyone! I was between agencies, and could not afford a doctor for a prescription. Also, it was a tiny shower in a mobile home. Thanks for all the great suggestions, just like my family at Thrifty Fun!

Poor But Proud

Better Living Frugal Living TipsAugust 18, 2010
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner