Recipes Using Leftover Ham

What can I do with leftover ham? I cooked two, because they were cheap thinking my kids would eat sandwiches but, no. I need to disguise it.

By Paula from Hot Springs, AR

Split pea soup w/ham is a favorite of mine. There is usually a recipe on the bag of split peas. I also like scalloped or au gratin potatoes with ham added. Makes a delicious main dish. Ham is good in a grilled cheese sandwich. Chop the ham and add it to eggs/omelets. You can try grinding it up and make ham salad with it. Kids may eat it this way. Personally, I find it revolting.

Ditto to what OliveOyl suggested. Also ham balls in sauce. I never cared for it but everyone else around here does. I like ham in mac & cheese or any type of bean dish like Calico Beans or soup. Ham is good in quiche or a Bisquick style Impossible pie. If sliced thinner we like to roll up the ham slices (cold) with potato salad in the middle. Use it finely diced into pancakes or waffles. Or chopped for use in a salad or on baked potatoes. You could put ham in a breakfast syle burrito with eggs, cheese etc. Or use in fried rice.

You can always freeze some for use later but works best if it isn't sliced too thinly.

My Kids always loved grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Also mac'n'cheese withs ham.Make wraps with sliced ham and any lettuce, pickles, cheese etc, and slice into pinwheels for easy snacking.

My grandchildren love macaroni and cheese and ham. You can also make a ham salad for sandwiches or a lunch dish and put diced ham in omelets, The ham bone is great for making split pea soup. You can also freeze leftovers to use in these dishes later on.

Drench in milk and brown sugar and slow cook in crock pot or in slow oven. Serve with mac and cheese and homemade biscuits. I bet you they won't turn it down.

Saute' some leftover ham in a stick of butter. Add 1/2 cup flour to make a nice rue. Add heated milk and it will bubble into a nice gravy for toast, noodles, potatoes, or biscuits.

My mom used to make salmon cakes for my brother and I when we were little. She mixed up onion, canned salmon, an egg, and some kind of breading. She fried it in small patties about 2 or 3 inches diameter in oil. I don't think normally we would have volunteered to eat salmon, but we used to fight over it. Maybe you could make something like that.

Here's one of the things I make with leftover ham. It goes over well with the family:

Delicious Ham & Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes

1/3 cup diced celery

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

3/4 cup diced cooked ham

3 1/4 cups water

2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper,

or to taste

5 tablespoons butter

5 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

Directions:

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Note: I cook longer than recipe calls for

Ham Casserole

2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes

1 large carrot, sliced

2 celery ribs, chopped

3 cups water

2 cups cubed fully cooked ham

2 tablespoons chopped green pepper

2 teaspoons finely chopped onion

7 tablespoons butter, divided

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups milk

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup soft bread crumbs

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minute or until tender. Drain. In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.

2. In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

Hearty Ham Casserole

Ingredients

2 cups cubed fully cooked ham

2 cups diced cooked potatoes

1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

1 tablespoon chopped onion

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 3/4 cups milk

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or process American cheese

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2 minutes; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; pour over the ham mixture and stir until combined. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Try Ham and Bean soup!

Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Recipes Using Leftover Ham
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats HamDecember 28, 2009
Freezing Leftover Ham
Ham and Cheese Fondue Bake Recipe
Ham and Cheese Fondue Bake Recipe
Freezing Cooked Ham
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
🎄