Homemade Skin Moisturizer Recipe

I would like to make my own skin moisturizer. I would like to make it with lanolin and other products that I can buy in the health food store. I use a natural moisturizer that I add a few drops of essential oils to boost the aroma. It is good, and works well. What I want to make is a body butter that will work with sensitive skin, and help with winter chapping. I was hoping to find good recipes and be able to make and give it for the holidays. Thanks.

Have you tried doing a Google search? There are lots of recipes for body care products available. I never did find one that fitted my needs for lotion but I found one for non prtroleum jelly and lib balm that I like.

I"m thinking of making some too!

A wonderful (but maybe too strange) lotion my Mom used to make is this: She'd save up the oil left from boiling chickens in a container in the freezer. When she had enough she's heat it and add in several handfuls of dried chamomile flowers and let it sit until cool. She'd then strain it and keep it in the fridge. No one we knew ever has scaly feet or dishpan hands!

You could do the same using vegetable shortening.

Scent it with essential oils.

Hi, Thank you for all the advice! I had done google searches before asking the thrifty fun community. Make your own cosmetics.com is wonderful and just the info that I was looking for! Thanks castleberrycc!

Go to the dollar store and buy a basic lotion with Shea butter in it, then add a jar of vitamin e facial moisturizer and a couple of table spoons of glycerin undiluted. After that, add some sweet almond oil, and a few drops of essential oil. Blend it up and put it in small containers. It's the best cream I've ever had for on the cheap side. You can get most of the ingredients at the dollar store.

You can buy the glycerin at Wal Mart. It's cheaper there than at the craft store.

There are several options:

1) a ratio of water to glycerine works very well. Try a 1:5 ratio. Glyverine is hygroscopic which means it pulls or attracts water molecules from the air. I boil roses or lavender with water, strain, and then add glycerine to make homemade lotion for hands, face, lips. Smells terrific. Dip a couple fingers in it (it's not thick) and rub it on. Non greasy, feels great.

2)Extra virgin olive oil is cheap at discount stores (I buy mine for $3.99 at Aldi). It's a great facial, eye or body moisturizer, and it's cheap.

3)Buy a stick on 100 percent cocoa butter to keep in your purse at Dollar General for..only $1! Great for hands, lips, elbows, cheeks, etc!

4)I don't like to use it often, but petroleum jelly works in a pinch as a facial mositurizer. It wont' clog pores. We keep this for bikeriding as it's a necessity and it also stands in as a good, quick lip protectant. I think the other options I listed are better and more enviro-friendly. However, peoole have been using petroleum jelly for a century or more. I have a tiny jar I keep in the house. This Halloween, we rubbed it on the cut pumpkin surfaces to retard spoilage as they sat out on porch. Can't think of any other great uses. Try the top 3 suggestions, first. Cheap too!

Lanolin isn't very good for sensitive skin.

Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Make Your Own BathroomNovember 4, 2008
Bottle of olive oil with olive branch in the foreground.
Using Olive Oil as a Moisturizer
Woman putting moisturizer on her hands.
Removing Moisturizer Stains from Clothing
Woman putting on Lotion
Moisturizing Tips and Techniques
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
🎉
🎄