Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet - Categories:

CarpetCleaning

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

My daughter just got a permanent black marker and wrote all over the rug in the basement. The rug is light in color and is Berber. I have tried Pro Solve, but it is not working. I'm going to try using the cleaner that comes with a steam cleaner, but am not to hopeful. Please help.

By Sara from Barrie, Ontario

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

You might try plain rubbing alcohol. It takes perm marker off a few hard surfaces.

We had a dog that chewed up a black permanent marker on our old berber carpet. I finally got it out with many applications of OxiClean. It turned orange then finally was gone!

If the stains don't come out could you dye the rug? Depending on what is in these markers, there is a reason they are called permanent, you may not be able to remove these marks. Can you contact the maker of the rug, or where you bought it? Perhaps they might have an idea? Could the stained areas be cut out, and new carpet be put in? Would an area rug cover this up? In any case keep the markers, pens et hidden. Best of luck to you.

PS: No matter what you do to try to clean this mess, try the "spot" cleaning in an an area where it won't show, if possible. This way if you make it worse you won't see it.

My daughter wrote all over our oriental rug with black sharpie. The sharpie web site mentioned a product called Amodex, a cream in 4 oz bottle about $6, I applied to the writing on the rug, didnt take much, and it removed all the marks. Definitely recommend this product! Maybe alcohol and other stuff works, but I went with proven solution - don't want to take chance and set a stain with something that doesnt work.

November 8, 2009 Flag

My granddaughter got dark blue magic marker on my carpet tracing around a sheet of paper. I took Purell hand sanitizer and rubbed on the marks and took a rag and the blue marker came up very easily off my light green carpet.

By Karen from Whiteville, NC

Answers:

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

Actually, I used Purell first, but only a slight little bit. No need to use two bottles. Then, I followed it up with scrubbing with a sponge soaked in Methyl Hydrate, available freely at hardware stores. All gone. (03/15/2009)

By TheMenace

August 1, 2007 Flag

How do you remove sharpie permanent marker from carpet?

Thank You, Bertie

Answers:

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

There is a product called FOLEX. It is in a white spray bottle with maroonish/purple letters. The bottle states it can remove permanent marker. It is worth a try before replacing the spot. I have used it for other stains successfully. You can purchase this at Wal-mart and Home Depot by your carpet cleaner items. Good luck. (01/24/2007)

By Andjerm

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

i used wd-40 when my daughter drew a picture on my beige carpet, spray on, let set a minute, rub with stiff brush, and blot with white towel or paper towel. (02/02/2007)

By jmz2005

January 23, 2007 Flag

I have a stain in the carpet from non-washable marker. I'm thinking of cutting out the area and replacing it with a new piece so I'm looking for tips to do it right the first time. The stain is right when you walk through the doorway so it's not possible to cover it up. We are also selling this house and I want it to look nice.

Thanks for any advice!

Mik from WI

Answers:

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

It happened to me. We had just laid the carpet and my 2year old nephew colored me a beautiful picture with a black sharpie on my white carpet. We used something called Spot Shot its in a blue can and has orange writing on it. It came from walley world. You couldn't tell the marker was there. (09/19/2006)

By SAHMof4

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

Thanks SAHM of 4. I'll try it. I went on crayola.com into their stain site and it reccomends rubbing alcohol, then another cleaner if needed. I'll try you idea and respond back some time. I'm wondering if I use too many different cleaners, if they'll be affected and not work as good. Guess I'll find out! (09/21/2006)

Permanent Marker Stain on Carpet

If you can't do it "right" (with a perfectly matched piece, etc.), then intentionally do it different. If it's right in front of the door, go to a local home depot or lowes and purchase just enough ceramic or hardwood tile to do a 3' section in front of the door. It will look itentional. If it is an internal room doorway (bedroom), there's nothing wrong with using nice floor mats (oriental looking rugs you could find at TJ Maxx) in "high traffic" areas. Nobody will think anything of it. (09/21/2006)

By CarlaJS

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetNovember 8, 2009
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:10:46 PM on 10.0.1.28 in 906 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.