Selling CraftsCrafts

Pricing Crafts for a Craft Show

I knit and crochet dish cloths. I sell them for $2.50, is that the going rate? I want to do a craft show this fall, what are good sellers? I also do plastic canvas, such as tissue box covers, pins, coasters, etc.

Pat from Corydon, IN

It seems to me that there are always several crafters selling those items. Make something unique that sets yourself apart from the rest.

I agree with the former poster. I suggested this to another crafter who was very excited. You go to the dollar tree and get large and smaller doilies, or you can get really good ones from the thrift shops. Get some brass or plastic rings and attach the doilies to the rings. I find that catching the doily with ripped fabric and then embellishing with buttons makes a nice country sun catcher.

You can go with faux gems, or glitter glue for a fancy one. If you use thread to wrap the ring, you can use a complimentary color of thread. Or, you can simply use ribbon to wrap or tie the doily to the ring and leave the ring unwrapped. These are flat and ready to transport, cheap to make, fun, and with the holidays coming up, easy to ship for the holiday buyers.

If you want more crochet patterns, and ideas, contact me through here and leave a message with an email, and what your main craft interest is. As for pricing, the total cost of these is anywhere from 2.00-6.00 so I would sell the large for 10.00 and the smaller for 8.00, keeping some 10.00's and 1.00's handy.

It's a funny fact, but some people consider cheaper crafts not worthy of their money. I have seen people pass up 5/4.00 items to pay 20.00 for one thing. A "niche" is what will bring customers to your booth. If you sell what some call "granny crafts" that most people can do themselves, you will be mostly passed by. Good luck!