Keeping Cool at Night

Right now we are in the middle of a heat wave and the humidity is out of this world. Since I don't have air conditioning, the nights trying to sleep are pretty unbearable even with the fan on.

What I do now is take a single size sheet, wet it in the sink, wring it out as best I can, then drape it on my body when I am lying in bed. The wet sheet keeps me cool when the fan blows on it, and by morning the sheet is dry and I had a great sleep.

By Karyn01 from Ottawa, Canada

Doesn't your mattress get wet? Be careful of mold growing in the mattress during the steamy weather.

Actually I never thought of that. In the morning I always find the sheet to be dry, and with the fan running all night, it probably keeps the bed dry too.

Great idea to keep cool and not only for those without air conditioning but for those who are trying to keep a tight reign on their energy bills like I am! I seriously doubt your mattress would be any more damp from a rung out damp sheet than if you were sweating on the mattress all night so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you ;-)

I hope you don't have or develop allergies. Mold could develop and grow in that mattress. Could also effect pets.

I live in Ohio, and I wonder if we have cooler temps at night here than you do in Canada? Lowest summer night temps so far this year have almost always been below 70 degrees. This means its sometimes lots cooler outside than in.

So I let a cheap 20 inch Walgreens window fan blow the indoor heat out through a bathroom window, which causes cooler outside air to be drawn in through other open windows. At times I have to shut it down, or put a winter shirt on. The cooler it gets inside, the better I sleep.

A fan used for keeping cool
Keeping Cool on Hot Nights
Better Living Frugal Living TipsAugust 18, 2009
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
A thermometer on the side of a house reading 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Keeping Your House Cool Without AC
A Shar Pei dog under a blanket.
Keeping a Dog Warm at Night