Can You Wear a Wig for License Renewal in Virginia

Someone very dear to me lost all her hair to chemotherapy. She is devastated by this. Her driver's license comes up for renewal soon and she doesn't know if she's allowed to wear a wig in her photo. The Virginia DMV was designated the worst in America(I believe it) and their website reflects this: a big, confused mess. I couldn't find an answer for this. Does anybody know? Don't suggest calling their 800 number. They have only one 800 number and only 15 operators for the entire state. It takes forever to get through, if you get through. They often put you on hold for hours then hang up on you. On top of that I've never been given correct information. Can anybody help?

You could ask the VA branch of the American Cancer Society...

Just wear it and don't mention it is a wig. I seriously doubt anyone will even say anything. they don't ask if you dye your hair.

I don't see where this would be a problem. Women and men both, dye and bleach their hair all the time. No one will know if it's her natural hair or a wig. I don't believe anyone would dare ask! I wouldn't bother even trying to ask them anything. Hair color is a choice these days. Would they dare ask a bald man what his hair color used to be, or is that baldness by choice or is it natural? lol

We lived in VA for many years and I agree with you. As to the wig-or-none, I might suggest that your friend goes to the DMV office at the beginning of her renewal month and see if she goes through okay. If not, have her get in writing just what is okay. Personally, if I came across this, I would wear a wig as close to my pre-radiation style and color as possible and say nothing unless asked. Cay from FL (We now live in Green Cove Springs, FL, and the clerks at the DMV are actually glad to see you and be of service! Another "planet" entirely!)

I don't know why not. As long as she doesn't cover her face I don't know what difference it would make. People are alwas changing the color of their hair :-) I did and had no problem.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Another thought. I can renew my license over the internet and don't have to go to the DMV. They simply send my license with the same picture and a new expiration date.

Bless your friend's heart, I know these are confusing times for her.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

What they don't know won't hurt them. Just go, get the license and say nothing. It will be fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

What is the other choice? Showing up bald? I would not expect men who wear topees to have to remove them.

For goodness sake, wear the wig and get it done and don't even say anything about it!

Your friend has enough to worry about without sweatin' the small stuff!

You might want to just walk into your local DMV office and ask in advance, just in case. Your friend would be so upset if they said even one tiny boo, so please get the info for her. That would be my guess. God bless!

I don't think I would even mention I have a wig on. I also have lost my hair. I have a wig that is styled and looks very much like my own hair. People often change glasses, weight, hair styles, etc. after their picture is taken so I don't think the wig should even be an issue.

I wouldn't say anything to DMV. I can't believe anyone be be crass enought to ask if she is wearing a wig-unless it is green and purple and looks like a Halloween wig!

Just wear it and dont say anything. Nobody says anything when you dye your hair. How will they know?

Too all those who answered this post and are wondering why I'm making so much of this: check out "YouTube VA DMV'. An independant film maker and his friends went down to DMV wearing the most ridiculous disguises and were given licenses, no questions asked. It was also employees of VA DMV who took bribes and sold ID's to the 9/11 terrorists. You can imagine the criticism they're getting. So now they're playing CYA and giving everybody a hard time. I don't think my friend can afford a real good wig, it will probably look like a wig. At any rate, they've always been crass enough to ask such a question of nice, normal people. Thanks for all the responses! Peanut

Unless your friend is due for a test, she can renew her license online. That way is MUCH easier.

Woman Renewing a Driver's License
Renewing a Driver's License
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 28, 2007
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Virginia Christmas Charities
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Wedding Vow Renewal
Wedding Vow Renewal Invitation Wording Ideas
West Virginia Christmas Charities
🎉
🎄