Problems Making Scalloped Potatoes

I used a new recipe for scalloped potatoes yesterday and the potatoes never did get done/soft. I used baking potatoes with a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and thinly sliced onions. I baked this mixture for an hour and then baked it again for another 45 minutes. Does anyone know what happened?

By Gelene from Rotonda West, FL

Best Answer

A lot of new recipes I try don't turn out as they should, so my bet is that you didn't do anything wrong. If you like the taste of that scalloped potato recipe and want to make them again, you can wash the potatoes, leave the skins on, poke a few holes in each potato with a fork and microwave them a few minutes. Let them cool then peel and slice them then follow the recipe to put the dish together. That way you know the potatoes will be done when the baking time is up.

Same thing happened. We cooked all day and they never got right. It is the potatoes. They looked kinda green on the outside. Probably not ready to sell.

Best Answer

I've always added milk to my scalloped potatoes and suggest you try. It isn't just the sauce that helps add flavor, but a bit of liquid is necessary to cook tender. Try the recipe again and use some milk with it.

Best Answer

you don't have enough fluid on them. You have chosen plenty of fats but that does not does not help. That is your over flavor without moisture.

I use a can of cream of chicken soup, 2 cans of milk per one can of soup. Should almost cover all sliced potatoes with this. I take a little ham stock juice from the freezer and drop into this, I don't use additional spices. Cover with foil. This takes about 1 hr at 350.

This came from my husband's eldery aunt. Never fail escalloped potato!

Best Answer

Actually that isn't the recipe for scalloped potatoes. Scalloped is sliced potatoes, salt, pepper, butter, and flour sprinkled over the top. Then milk to cover. Cook until the potatoes are soft and the milk is almost cooked down. Anything else is a variation. If you add cheese that is au graton. However if you want to use the recipe you sent, add enough milk to keep the potatoes moist until they are soft.

Best Answer

The potatoes should be sliced very thin. Layer the potatoes then dobble some butter, salt & pepper, chopped onions &sprinkle a little flour, repeat this until you fill the bowl. I use milk and cream of mushroom soup and pour that over the top and bake covered for about an hour and a half or so they are yum. You can also brown some pork chops and lay them on the top.

Another recipe I had with scalloped potatoes is with cabbage, you just add some shredded cabbage to each layer with the above ingredients, it's awesome. I believe the recipe was called pig in a poke.

I precook my potatoes and don't have a problem.

Scalloped potatoes in a casserole dish
Problems Making Scalloped Potatoes
Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesFebruary 17, 2011
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Scalloped Corn
Scalloped Corn Recipes
Scalloped potatoes in an old blue enamel bowl, on rustic white table.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipes
🎉
🎄