Clothing StainsCleaning

Pre-Treating Greasy Stains

I've found the best way to remove any greasy stain (including shirt collars) is to put a little dishwashing liquid (Joy, Dawn, etc.) on the stain, and rub it in. Then dip the spot in as hot water as is appropriate for the fabric and rub again. Toss it in the washer and you will be pleased at the outcome!

By Sarahruth from Newland, NC

I've done a similar thing - only difference is that I used shampoo to which I'm allergic. I lay the things that need treatment on top of the dryer, squirt the shampoo on the spots and let it sit til the wash I put in finishes. Then put the clothes [with the staina treated] in and let it go through the regular cycle. Also did the shampoo squirt on badly soiled dog beds and they look like new.

The shampoo idea is the one I use also. It is formulated for getting the greasies out of hair so it works on clothing and other stuff too.

You can also use a bar of soap to get stains out with a scrub brush. It gets it out really well. Also, when you're on the go, carry baby wipes to get stains off your clothes too.

I can do about 80% of what I need to do around the house using Dawn. The eye doctor suggested I use diluted Dawn to clean my contact lenses weekly (of course, you need to rinse very well). My lenses stay cleaner that way than with the expensive cleansers. I also use diluted Dawn on carpet stains. Again,you need to rinse well, but I do better with it than carpet cleaners. I also routinely remove ink on my husband's shirts with Dawn. Reminds me of when my Granny (we were hillbillies) cleaned her false teeth with Handy Andy!

A dandruff shampoo for oily hair is what I found works great!