Cooked-on Food on a Stove

How do I remove cooked, burnt on sugar on my stove?

By Gail from North Beach, MD

When I have something stubborn, I take a washcloth saturated with hot water and leave it on the spot for a while. Every now and then I go back to rub, and if I need to I'll rinse and repeat.

You want to know what works wonderfully? Powdered dishwasher detergent! not only is it made for cleaning greasy cooked foods, it is a soft abrasive. I tried it on my stove and it didn't scratch at all, and no more burnt food!

I agree with soaking it and also using dishwasher detergent to do that soaking. What I would also like to add is that you can use something plastic to scrape, something like an old credit card or something like that. You use it like a little "pusher" to sort of scrape the burnt on stuff.

I have found liquid dishwashing detergent to be easier to use than the powdered kind. Also, heat it up with a hair dryer.

December 6, 2010 Flag

I have a black stove and it has cooked on food that I cannot scape off. How can I get it off? I tried oven cleaner, and it didn't work. I cannot use a Brillo pad because it will scratch it up. Please help.

Ashanti from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Cooked-on Food on a Stove

Since we don't know what type of stove you have, gas, electric burner, or flat ceramic cooktop it is hard to decide what to suggest that might help. I'd probably take an old bath towel and get it very wet and just let it lie on top of the burned food for a day or two to see if it would gradually soften up so you could scrape it off. But, if it's a gas stove and there is a pilot light nearby the towel could dry out and catch on fire! Maybe some more information as to the type of stove and even the type of food that is burned on will get these folks thinking about solutions for you! Good luck! (10/26/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Cooked-on Food on a Stove

I agree with Gramma Margie, Ashanti. Soak a towel or cloth in water and lay it on top of the problem area. Leave it sit, keep it wet and things will loosen up a bit. You may want to use something like CRL or Fanatastic or other strong cleaning agent, perhaps even Easy Off, on the area before laying down the towel.

Thereafter, if it won't simply wipe off, try using a plastic scraper. An old credit or bank card or piece of ID: solid plastic won't scratch, but does a nice job when scraping.

Good luck!

Cheers.

Rose Anne (10/26/2006)

By wordswork

Cooked-on Food on a Stove

The reason for the wet towel is that you clean when it's wet--like keeping a wet edge when painting. So wiping with just a paper towel when it's still wet is a good habit to develop.

You can also let enzymes dissolve it if there's grease, which there usually is. Use Dawn liquid dish detergent, covering the gunk with it. It's both wet and enzymatically active. Let it work for a while, then scrub lightly with a Teflon scrubber. The plastic card is a good idea, but don't use a card with financial data, like a credit card number.

Next time, just for fun, cook your food in the pot, not on the stove. hahahahaha (10/26/2006)

By the Oracle

Cooked-on Food on a Stove

I just read an article in a magazine that said to use toothpaste to clean stains on stoves so you don't scratch it. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense. The toothpaste has less harsh emollients in it.

Karen from Port Clinton, OH (10/28/2006)

By hairyjoe

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesDecember 6, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Stove Hood
Cleaning a Stove Hood
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
A plate of cooked turkey.
Keeping Cooked Turkey Moist
🎉
🎄