Substitute for Gouda Cheese in a Recipe - Categories:

SubstitutionsFood Tips

Substitute for Gouda Cheese in a Recipe

I have a recipe to use some tortellini I bought recently. The recipe calls for Gouda or smoked Gouda. I do not keep either on hand. Is there a substitute I could use, like cheddar, or Colby? Or do I need to either buy Gouda or toss the recipe? Thanks for your thoughts.

By HJ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Gouda is a nice, mild cheese. You should be able to substitute any mild cheese you like. If you ever get the opportunity, though, to sample Gouda and smoked Gouda (one of my favorites). Do so, they're worth a try!

But your recipe should work with cheddar or colby, without a doubt.

Best Answer

Gouda is a semi-soft cheese so you would want to substitute it with something like Edam, Jack or Muenster. Cheddar and Colby most likely would not work well because of their consistency; they are semi-firm cheeses. If a recipe calls for a certain type of cheese there is a reason for it ;-)

Do yourself a favor and buy some Smoked Gouda. It's heavenly even just to snack on :-)

Best Answer

All of the cheeses listed here can be substituted for each other:

American, Cheddar, Cheshire, Colby, Edam, Fontina, Gouda, Havarti, Longhorn, Monterey Jack, Muenster and Port-Salut

Pressed cheeses - Cheshire, Cheddar, Edam, Gouda, Jarlsberg, Mozzarella and Swiss can also be substituted for each other.

The flavor will be somewhat different; but Gouda is a fairly mild cheese; make it with one you like and you should be fine. Then if you don't enjoy the recipe, toss it! I would readily try another cheese!

But if you ever have the opportunity, try the Gouda. I really love smoked Gouda!

Colby or mild chedder of any kind will be fine.

PS - Gouda freezes well. Just keep it in its original packaging and then wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag with as much air removed from the bag as possible.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful info. If the recipe makes it to "keeper" status (meaning it passes my DH's taste test), I'll let you know. I make dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays and he makes dinner the other nights unless we go out. He likes to cook. Let me count the ways I feel blessed. :-) hj

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsOctober 23, 2011
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:10:25 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.