Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Substitute for Gouda Cheese in a Recipe

I have a recipe to use some tortellini I bought recently. The recipe calls for Gouda or smoked Gouda. I do not keep either on hand. Is there a substitute I could use, like cheddar, or Colby? Or do I need to either buy Gouda or toss the recipe? Thanks for your thoughts.

By HJ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By HJ [10]10/26/2011

Thanks to all of you for your helpful info. If the recipe makes it to "keeper" status (meaning it passes my DH's taste test), I'll let you know. I make dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays and he makes dinner the other nights unless we go out. He likes to cook. Let me count the ways I feel blessed. :-) hj

By Sandy Kinney10/24/2011

All of the cheeses listed here can be substituted for each other:
American, Cheddar, Cheshire, Colby, Edam, Fontina, Gouda, Havarti, Longhorn, Monterey Jack, Muenster and Port-Salut

Pressed cheeses - Cheshire, Cheddar, Edam, Gouda, Jarlsberg, Mozzarella and Swiss can also be substituted for each other.

By Anonymous [848]10/24/2011

PS - Gouda freezes well. Just keep it in its original packaging and then wrap in aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag with as much air removed from the bag as possible.

By Anonymous [848]10/24/2011

Gouda is a semi-soft cheese so you would want to substitute it with something like Edam, Jack or Muenster. Cheddar and Colby most likely would not work well because of their consistency; they are semi-firm cheeses. If a recipe calls for a certain type of cheese there is a reason for it ;-)

Do yourself a favor and buy some Smoked Gouda. It's heavenly even just to snack on :-)

By Lilac [18]10/24/2011

Colby or mild chedder of any kind will be fine.

By Jill [4]10/23/2011

Gouda is a nice, mild cheese. You should be able to substitute any mild cheese you like. If you ever get the opportunity, though, to sample Gouda and smoked Gouda (one of my favorites). Do so, they're worth a try!

But your recipe should work with cheddar or colby, without a doubt.

By Jill [4]10/23/2011

The flavor will be somewhat different; but Gouda is a fairly mild cheese; make it with one you like and you should be fine. Then if you don't enjoy the recipe, toss it! I would readily try another cheese!

But if you ever have the opportunity, try the Gouda. I really love smoked Gouda!