Light Corn Syrup Substitute Recipe

Category Substitutions
Sometimes when getting ready to prepare a recipe you may find that your are missing a specific ingredient and need to find a substitute. This is a guide about light corn syrup substitute recipe.

I have used this recipe several times, I have also given this recipe to my Wilton Cake Decorating Students. One of my students went to culinary school, she told me that this recipe is a wonderful substitute for Karo Syrup.

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan (stainless). Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage, 238 -240 degrees F.

Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months.

Makes almost 2 cups.

By Mary from Atascadero, CA

Thank you! Have been searching for this for long time. It is better than using White Corn Syrup.

I also cheat with it and use the Splenda for baking (the one with some sugar in it.) Can't tell the difference and cuts down on the sweetener.

By Frances Jurglewicz (Guest Post)

Thank you so much for this info. Saved me from having to run to the store and to listen to my husband complain about how unhealthy corn syrup is.

Be advised: don't cook the sugar/water/cream of tartar syrup too long. Not being at home and not having a thermometer, I guessed at the time for stopping the cooking. I was wrong. The syrup thickens a lot as it cools.