Growing: Ivy

Botanical Name: Hedra
Life Cycle: perennial vines /climbers
Planting Time: spring or summer
Height: ground cover or climber
Exposure: full sun to partial shade
Soil: average, well-drained soil; adaptable to most conditions
Hardiness: zones 5 to 9
Flower: grown for foliage
Foliage: lobed leaves in a variety of shapes (stars, hearts, shields) textures (ruffled, cuffed and smooth) and colors (green, gray, cream, yellow, veined and variegated).
Propagation: division
Suggested Use: ground cover, rock gardens, climbing, topiaries, window boxes, hanging baskets and houseplants
Growing Hints: Purchase young plants or take cuttings from a friend. Plants root easily in soil or water. Do not feed newly potted or purchased plants for the first 3 to 4 months. Well-established plants should be fed every three to four months and repotted when they become crowded. Pinching back tips will encourage bushier growth. Common pests include spider mites, mealy bugs and white flies.
Interesting Facts: Ivy prefers 4 or more hours of sunlight per day, but will tolerate bright indirect light, like light reflected off of light colored walls, or artificial lights.

I was hoping somebody could clarify this for me, as I am a very inexperienced gardener. I got a full (piece) of an ivy plant (not sure of the species other than that) that I am trying to grow, and the person that gave it to me told me to bend it near the middle so it breaks some, then soak it in water until it starts to grow roots there prior to planting it in dirt.... is this the correct method? Right now it is submerged about an inch and a half into a glass of water and near a balcony window which receives indirect sunlight about 4-6 hours per day.

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i dont know about breaking it but if you leave it in water long enough it should root and i do think its better than soil

I always plant it in the dirt where I want it to grow, it's easy to grow, good luck.

Hi, I recently cut one of my ivy vines when gardening. Does anyone know what I should do or use to repair it. It was a important vine that was a main link to a lot of my ivy. Please help!

Ivy Cutting
Growing Ivy
Home and Garden Gardening Growing PerennialsMarch 15, 2006
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
English Ivy Leaf
Growing English Ivy
trumpet vine
Growing Perennial Vines
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants